Accused of being mean to your child in a restaurant?

So my family and I took my brother out for his B-day last night. We normally do not do much for b-days, but he was turning 25 so we all went to a sit-down restaurant.
He brought his son who is 6 and usually a handful, so we were all helping out with him. He wouldn't behave and kept running around, yelling, throwing food. My brother then took him outside for a talking to, he didn't spank him or anything, just was very stern with him and then my nephew started to cry, they came back in and everything calmed down.
When we were getting ready to leave, these 2 women that were sitting by us came and gave my nephew a toy they bought from the front of the store. They said to him "it's no fun having a mean daddy is it?". Then they told my brother he should be ashamed for making his son cry.
Okay I was like "what??" We didn't say anything to them, just wondering what you ladies would have done in the situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• Wow. Thats pretty harsh. Maybe they should have minded their own freaking business. You don't have to be "mean" or say anything in an inappropriate manner to make a child cry. My son jumps off of everything and gets hurt constantly and never cries but if I am talking to him about his inappropriate behavior, he gets upset and sheds a few tears. I don't degrade him or even talk down to him and he still always sheds those few tears. If that had happened to me I would have refused the toy and told them to mind their own damn business. They just rewarded him for bad behavior, that was brillant, lol.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• What can you do really? Laugh and finish dinner.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I'd say mind your own damn business! Probably not really, but that's what I'd feel like saying. hahaha
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:53 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Where the two crazy women come from? They must have been religious fanatics.

I would called the manager and accused of invasion of privacy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• IDK but when i read that my jaw dropped. I can't believe that.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 1:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I would have then taken the toy from my son and said "Thank you very much and he can have it once he learns to behave himself...unless you'd like to give it to a boy who DOES behave as he's expected. Or one with parents who let the kid run amok and disrupt your dinner."

Or taken it from my son and handed it back to the woman and said, "Thank you but he's not allowed to accept gifts from strangers. Especially those who don't know what they're talking about."

Or taken it from my son and handed it back to the woman and told her where she could stick it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Rude women!

bringin

Answer by bringin at 1:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Believe me I have been there and done that. Many people look at me and give me crazy looks when I am at a restaurant with my son. He does similar things such as, running around, being too loud or sometimes throwing his food. He is quite bothering and definately imbarrassing expecially when you are trying to have a sit-down meal in front of many other people. For when this happens to me I definately take my son aside to talk with him or give him something else to do such as coloring in a coloring book on the table. Many sit-down restaurants have this and I usually always ask for one before I sit down to eat, otherwise I come prepared for something for my son to do just in case! Furthermore, I just ignore what other people say and move on. If someone were to come up to my son and say such a thing as, "it's not nice having a mean daddy is it?" I would have just minded my own business, everything is between the parent and child!
    Halfmoonwife

Answer by Halfmoonwife at 2:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Forget them:
    I would have said no thank you and gave them back their toy. I hate when people get involved. I always say, you raise your kids, and I will raise mine. Have a good evening. Did you ever think he has add or adhd? Just a thought, opps I should mind my own business.

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:06 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Would have told them to keep the toy. And would have said "you have a right to your own opinions. But keep them to yourself next time".

Answer by louise2 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2009