What would be most practical in flying with a 2 month old?

My son and I will be flying soon. Our flight will approximately 5 hrs long with one connection. Our time in the air will be around 2hrs to one destination, a one hour lay over and then another two hour flight to our final destination. He will be an infant in arms, and we will be flying with Delta and US Airways.

I'm trying to determine whichwill be easier:

A) Using his travel system and gate checking it (I'm not if you can gate check both car seat and stroller? Has anyone ever done this?) I'm also worried about the weight of it and them not allowing it to be gate checked.

B) Buying an umbrella stroller and checking his car seat at the ticket counter. Can a 12 week old even ride in one?

B) Checking both his car seat and stroller at the ticket counter and using a sling in the airport...I'm kinda hesitant to try this, he's pretty dang heavy for a 2 month old and I'm not sure how big the airports are

vanessa5470

Asked by vanessa5470 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Travel

• B2

Answer by louise2 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• You are traveling alone with a baby? Use the sling or an umbrella stroller. You have to take the baby out and put everything through the conveyor belt for security, that is hard if you have an extra set of hands, but by yourself...it will kill you. :p
    I would bring a umbrella stroller and the sling and only one small carry on bag, you will not have the hand s to carry more than that. I would combine my purse and carry on together so you have even less. I really would just carry four diapers and one change of clothes, plus any gas drops, formula and such.
    Good luck, your baby will probably sleep through it all.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:22 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I'd try the umbrella stroller. If that doesn't work then try a baby bjorn. A big stroller is going to be a royal pain to travel with. Bring a back pack for carryon, so much easier than a shoulder bag.

You should buy a Baby B'air harness for the flight too. Much safer than just having a loose baby on the plane. Call the airline and ask about bassinet seats; they're at the bulkhead and have bassinets which are basically giant fold down tables with blanket filled boxes on them. Might not be available on shorter flights since they're likely to be smaller planes but it wouldn't hurt to find out the best place to sit. If you can't reserve seats before check in then try to get an empty seat next to you once you check in so you have room to maneuver,
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Definately do not check the car seat or the stroller at the ticket counter. That is the worst thing you can do. The way it comes off the belt and gets thrown around by the employees is the same as being in a car accident. Also, do not put a 12 week old in an umbrella stroller. They are ment for toddlers like 1 year plus not 12 weeks old babies that can't sit up. Your best bet is to gate check the stroller and the car seat. Yes they will let you.
    SabrinaL

Answer by SabrinaL at 9:11 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I traveled with my daughter at 3 months. We flew Southwest and they were very accomodating. I took the entire travel system through security to the gate. They have a separate security line for families, so you just get ushered through there so they can check your bottles and stroller.

The airline will stow your stroller and car seat and have it ready for you when you get off the plane. Also, even though I didn't buy a ticket for the baby, our flight wasn't full, so they let me put her carseat in a separate seat.

I would say whatever stroller and carseat situation you will need at your destination is what you want to take with you. I personally wouldn't put a three-month old in an umbrella stroller. It may be a makeshift solution for the airport, but is it going to work the entire time you're away?

lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 1:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Also, to my knowledge, most airlines don't consider carseats and strollers as extra pieces of luggage, so they shouldn't charge you to check it. Still, do what's convenient for you. They will check and stow it at the gate.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 1:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I would do the sling for in the airport. and maybe a back pack for a carry on. That way arms are free to look for tickets, find a paci, or what ever needs be done while waiting.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Please get your son a seat, and use the carseat on the plane; this is even recommended by the FAA. In extreme turbulence, a lap baby can become a projectile!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:45 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Easiest way? Buy a seat, and strap your carseat in.

Tea4Tas

Answer by Tea4Tas at 7:16 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• you have gotten some great advice but I will still add that if you have to take the car seat and stroller then yes carry the baby around in them and gate check them. If at your destination friends or family have a seat you could use then i would leave that stuff at home and use a sling, what type do you have if your baby is heavy try to get a mei tai style.
    momoftatertots

Answer by momoftatertots at 7:24 AM on Sep. 23, 2009