My 8 1/2 yo son is scared of ...everything.. new development

ok, so like a week ago my husband took my son(will be 9 in dec.) to cut wood, but b4 they got to leave our friends house, his neighbor's house was on fire...my husband and his friend ran over and dragged the elderly lady outside, she was burnt, my boy stayed across the alley next door but I'm pretty sure he saw everything.. anyway, they called 911, fire was put out and the woman was flown to a hospital up north to a burn unit(she's ok) but now he won't sleep in his room, is Very clingy, won't eat, his whole personality has changed. we've tried to talk to him but he shurgs and says nothing's wron.. help...

leftylucy81

Asked by leftylucy81 at 2:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• get him some counseling.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Yep, he needs counseling to help him work through his new found fears. It is not at all unusual for a child to develop a bit of PTSD after witnessing such a traumatic event, even if it didn't involve them directly.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I do not think that talking to a counselor would be a bad decision. Seeing what he might have seen could have ended very tragically, and he obviously is still thinking about this, he knows what the end results could have been IF she had still been in the house, and seeing the whole house on fire, was probably a wake up call to him saying "OH MY GOSH...this happened to so-and-so's house, it could happen to MINE" ....I would maybe start with his school counselor and see if he/she thinks that an actual therapist would be beneficial.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 2:11 PM on Sep. 21, 2009