I think my baby girl (8 months) is addicted to the television, however, we are encouraged to constantly have it turned on...

My son, 5, has autism. We are encouraged through is multiple teachers to constantly have the TV on in the background to increase his language skills. We choose channels like Noggin and play several educational videos.

Sure it is working for him, and my daughter can actually speak several words as well.... but my daughter pays sooo much attention to the TV.

Is this going to be bad for her? What would you do?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 2:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What did the world do without television?????????????

Try turning on the radio on a talk show. There's your language. Now, get both kids to focus on what they are doing

ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 2:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• In fact, just have some good music on. Maybe he'll pick up the music, too (of course, it could back~fire and he'll just sing every time he wants something!) Your speaking with your children can be "language"
    ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 2:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I would google this question also. I read in American Baby that stimulation from the television are not good at all. I noticed this happening with my own young children and now they have a time limit to when they can watch television. They weren't able to watch it at all and they (2 years old and 3 years old) learned how to speak words just fine. I started letting them watch television when my son was getting ready to turn 3 and my daughter was 2. They have their favorites that they can watch but to just leave the television on all the time, um, no, not going to happen. Whatever works for you and your family, thats what works. If you are concerned I'd also speak to the Dr. and see what he has to say about it.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 2:06 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Is this going to be bad for her? What would you do?

I don't think so! That's why it's called children's programming.

I would turn off the TV during snack, lunch and dinner time.

bringin

Answer by bringin at 2:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It really isn't a big deal; you were told it was good for your son and it's not going to hurt your daughter.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 2:10 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• my tv is on all day.
    Even if I'm not watching it, I just like to have it on. My house is too quiet with it off(dd is 7months)
    I go insanse if it's off.
    Lol I would just try to distract her with some toys or something.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 2:11 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Cover the screen some how if you're concerned. (American Baby by the way is NOT an authority on anything)

Just toss a towel or cloth over it or something. Distract her with playing, etc....She'll be fine.

Ours is on all the time for background noise and my kids are fine.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I read somewhere that having background noise can actually impede language skills. But I dunno. My daughter doesn't get a lot of TV, and when it is on she's usually playing and only part watching it. I'd be concerned if she just sat in front of it.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I don't think TV is a very good tool to teach your son language, I think there are probably much better options.
    As for your question... I don't think TV for you baby is a good idea either. They have done ton's of studies on children and TV and I don't think any have positves about them.
    Kids tend to veg out and go into a lower function in their brain.... not a very good learning tool.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Hm...we have a child in the family with autism...her spectrum of it is where she does not communicate with anyone or pay attention to anyone at all....I dont recall her parents ever being encouraged to try t.v. to teach her although she does have certain movies she wants to watch alot....I have no idea if it would be different for autistic children than another child who is watching t.v. I did read that t.v. in general will not hurt or help a baby up until the age of 2 and after that could seriously be harmful. but its one of those things, it depends on what expert you ask and your answers will differ.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 7:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2009