I give up. Where can a stay at home mom find friends?!

Seriously. I'm a stay at home mom to a special needs little boy. He has autism and all of my "friends" seem to avoid me now. They have all moved on and always have plans to which I'm never invited. I would love to make some friends so I can have somewhat of a social life between therapies and everything. But, where can I find these friends? I can't find a single playgroup around here or find anyone interested in starting one. Any ideas?! I'm going nuts with no adult interaction throughout the day.

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 2:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We are here!

If your child goes to school you could meet with the parents of your son's peers.

bringin

Answer by bringin at 2:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• when you start having kids the social life goes out the window. It is harder to make friends when you get older. That is just the way things are :(
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I am in the same boat sweetie. I don't know how to do it either. I would have to say if you live in Dodge city, Kansas lets meet up because I could use some friends myself. It can be really challenging when raising a special needs child. I have a four year old who is autistic with adhd and he can be very different from other kids. But I try my best to get him out to other places like the park or go to the store, but sometimes this can be over stimulating for him. I get services through a local group that provides respit care and other needs for him and myself to get peer interaction. Do you have a local mental health service they can help out a lot. Just talk with them about what you need and see if they have a mom support group. If you need to talk about anything you can definately do so by emailing me katie_katie85@yahoo.com or messaging me anytime.
    Halfmoonwife

Answer by Halfmoonwife at 2:23 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I live in TN. =( Otherwise I'd take you up on the offer! lol. My son is almost 2, so no school yet.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 2:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• check into your local parks and rec and also your library, they have lots of programs for kids most are free or low cost. I have met many moms this way. we also have a childrens museum where many moms hang out. You could even go to a popular park and just introduce yourself to other moms while your kids play.

they have mommy and me groups, tot tumbling classes, tot art classes. My oldest is special needs and we were still able to join in and have fun.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I don't know how old your son is, but my oldest has autism. He went into a special needs public preschool at 3 and one of the moms there started having a morning "coffee" at her house for all of us (there were 7 in the class), and then we started setting up ladies' night outs at restaurants (we would meet like at 8, after most of our kids were in bed and stay until 12). We ended up meeting about every other week or so at a coffee shop in the morning (bringing our younger kids), or at a restaurant at night. In the summers, we found a couple fenced in playgrounds and set up playdates there. Five years ago we started spending a weekend at the beach every year.
    Nine years later, these ladies are my closest friends because they share my struggles and understand what I go through with my son.

Answer by missanc at 2:33 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• My son will be 2 in 2 months. =) I'm going to have to see if I can find any classes or anything around here. Missanc, That sounds really awesome! What a neat way to find friends!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 2:36 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Drop by if your'e ever in Florida!
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• You are not alone!
    I moved to a very small "clicky" rural town a few years ago and I would try to make new friends but after they get the dirt on me they dump me. I swear finding new friends is like dating! lol! You meet, hang out, and get dumped!
    I have a 22 yr old that is autistic... I would suggest calling your local school district and asking them about.... Early childhood family education classes. It is a play group with other kids and their moms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2009