Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of legal problems can this cause... if any??? (step parent has no rights)

I am a step parent, well actually, not even that as we will be married in January.

We share 50/50 custody of my fiance's son and his mother is not too involved with his schooling, daycare, activities... etc.

I often sign permission slips, supply and give permission for medications, act as a chaperone for field trips... etc.

His school, daycare, and coaches all know who I am and what role I play in Elijah's life. They accept my signature.

Can this cause legal problems in the future? His mother has not yet opposed to anything I have approved.

Answer Question

Asked by girlneffy at 2:36 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Relationships

Level 3 (27 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • i'd get something in writing from the bio mom just in case. it's worth it even if she's going along good right now. it can't hurt n case she tries to change her tune. u want something legally signed (notarized and everything) saying you have her permission. GL

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

  • Yes.
    It's funny, I tried to give the elem. school and the daycare to accept my ex's new wife as a parent. I wanted them to accept her signature on those things. The school dd- once. The daycare wouldn't. They said that for permission slips- a opne time thing- it had to be a parent signature. They never said why, exactly, but I assume it's because if a kid is hurt they need a parent signature to prove that the kid was okayed to go with them.

    Answer by emhain at 2:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

  • You should call a lawyer and ask this question. I emagine sence you are not his mom or dad or legal gardian, you shouldn't be signing anything. But I am not a lawyer either.

    Answer by louise2 at 2:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

  • You won't get trouble from the mom (legally) but the school,s, etc may start to restrict when/where you can sign.
    The mom, in reality, has no right to decide what role you fill when her child is with his father. That's up to his father.

    Answer by emhain at 2:41 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

  • I dont really know, but it seems to me that it would be the ones accepting the signatures that would/could get in trouble, not you.

    Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 3:10 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

  • Get dad to sign a power of attorney to you for those things.

    Answer by admckenzie at 4:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

  • I'm fairly confident that you can't get into legal trouble because you have the expressed permission from both the bio parents. If the mom wanted to start trouble in court with you, she would also have to share why she's allowed it to go on for "X" amount of time before confronting the issue.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.