Has anyone else's job told them officially they will lose their insurance under the proposed bill?

On another site I visit, there's one very upset mommy whose husband just got an answer from management about what would change if the bill passes. According to the VP of her husband's firm, they will lose their HSAs and most likely either lose the insurance they have or have to take over the majority of the cost themselves. 2 adults, 3 kids, one of them will need a second job just to pay the insurance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm part-time in a very small company so I don't have insurance now, but I do know that if the company is going to have to pay more for insurance or the fine for providing no insurance is less than what the boss is paying now, he will discontinue it all together.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 4:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Not yet, but my DH's employer has sat down with managers and upper level management positions and discussed how the EFCA will effect their business and the priveleges that will be lost due to anticipation of rising operating costs. I imagine that the health care talk will be somewhat the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• They can't predict that yet. Until the final Bill passes, not one insurance company can tell what will happen.
    Anonymous

• not one insurance company can tell what will happen

It has nothing to do with insurance companies - it's about what your job will or won't pay for. If they can pay a penalty that's thousands cheaper than paying your insurance, why would they pay the insurance?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

So....this bill is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• My husband is an executive at his company. They have been discussing this and the higher ups have said if the fine is low and there is a public option they are probably going to drop insurance for all hourly employees. We will be fine since they will keep all the executive plans. It will save the company millions. My sisters husband is an executive at Walmart they are discussing doing the same thing. They are all waiting and seeing what the fine will be and what the public option will be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Sorry, but that would be against the law to say. and I know this because I am a VP of Human Resources. gah.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• In my opinion, Walmart has one of the worst damn health insurance plans to begin with. They offer only offical full time people the insurance not their part time people. I WORK part-time for walmart and I do NOT get insurance and I can NOT afford it on my own. YES my kids are covered but I am not. Walmart takes care of their full time employees but in my opinion the majority of us are SOL. Do not even go there with "get a better job" I have tried. In a small town, Walmart is one of the few places to even get a damn job. God some of you are so damn selfish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• My kids are coved through the state because of my income but there is NOTHING for adults, only the children. I do apologize for my outburst but I am doing the best I can right now. My kids are well provided for but damn, I would like to see a doctor when I get sick every now and then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

How 'bout this: instead of bitching about your crappy part-time job at Walmart, being happy that you HAVE a JOB at all? My town has 11% unemployment, and I personally know people who would damn near KILL for even a crappy part time job at Walmart (our town doesn't have one--the nearest one is 25 miles away).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Sep. 21, 2009