Should I allow them to induce me?

I'm 38 weeks. I was 4 cm. dilated for a week and now I'm 5 cm but not in active labor.

My doctor is concerned that baby is having trouble engaging in the birth canal because despite everything else (dilation, effacing, and contracting) she is just not moving down.

My doctor wants to schedule an induction for next monday (I'll be a little over 39 weeks)

Should I go ahead and do it or should I let baby keep trying to descend naturally?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Do you trust your doctor??? Do you trust that he knows what is best for you and your baby?? If you answer yes go ahead with the induction.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• At 39 weeks you and your baby shouldn't have any problem. And your doctor wouldn't suggest it just for kicks and giggles you know? I would do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• NO! I was dilated for MONTHS before my kids were born. You're baby may not be ready yet! IF you are less than 42 weeks and have no health issues forcing you to induce - DON'T. Babies that are induced before they are ready (even if they are "full term") are at a greater risk of health issues and colic...  My body does not produce the proper chemicals to go in to labor naturally. With my oldest my water broke and we induced - because he was ready & my water broke. (I was 42 weeks) with my youngest, we were in a hurry, we induced prior to my water breaking (I was 41 weeks) and he was not ready! He has had digestive issues from day one. The GI track is the last thing to form and if it's not ready for milk/formula when they have to start eating, it can cause issues.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Due dates are a guess! Unless you know exactly what day you conceive they are pure conjecture. Which means if you are like me and get pregnant late in your cycle instead of right after your period you could actually be as little as 35 or 36 weeks along... Unless you have health concerns - let nature take it's course!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• My opinion is to go ahead and schedule the induction and then see if you can help your baby descend by walking around a lot. Just don't exhaust yourself!
    mommyofJames08

Answer by mommyofJames08 at 3:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Convenience inductions are for the mom/doctor~ not putting baby first.
    I think the baby should be your priority, personally.

This adds risks (potential/actual dangers) that are unnecessary. :-(

There is NO way to KNOW that baby won't move down-- they do it at some point before labor. When will that be?? No one knows ~only the baby.

Because your body has proven that it can do the work, progress on it's own, no need to doubt anything now.
    Give your baby the opportunity.
    I suppose you can keep thinking on it; IF this is still a concern in 4 weeks, THEN have this conversation with your doctor...

***OH~ and also, I urge you to ask your doctor to show you the evidence-based facts that PROVE that induction is safer than waiting.
    If there are facts then you can investigate at home and see how you feel.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It is my belief that an induction should only be done if the baby is in distress. I agree with the other posts, a due date is a guess and you always have 2 weeks either way. Many women choose induction because they just want to meet their baby and dont realize that induction can set you up for so many other issues. You are at a greater risk for infection because with induction usually comes the breaking of your water. Also you must understand the pitocin contractions are nothing like natural contractions, they are much more painful...ask your doctor. On the other hand I have had clients that just needed a little push. You need to pray on it and way your options, an induction should never be done out of convenience. Do your research online, before you make a decision. The bottom line is your baby might not be ready to meet the world and you never wanna make something happen unnaturally! Google "induction statistics"
    Good Luck
    jamiet

Answer by jamiet at 3:12 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Listen to your doctor I was induce with my first and was in labor for 11 hours and with my second I was in labor for 5. So I would go for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I think it is a personal choice and you shouldn't let anyone on here talk you into it or talk you out of it. If I were in your situation and the doctor was just suggesting it, but not requiring it, then I would probably wait, but if they think it is medically necessary and would be better for your baby, then go for it. But like I said, that is just what I would do. Don't let people make you feel bad about being induced. There are just as many good stories about being induced as there are bad. Everyone is different. Good luck, either way you choose.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 3:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I am all for inductions and I had two myself. One for the same reason as you (I was 4cm at 35 weeks and then 5 cm at 37 weeks so they induced me at 38 weeks) BUT... my daughter was so low that my pelvic cartiledge separated at 36 weeks. I was induced by only breaking my water (no pitocin) and she was born 4 hours later.

Having said that... I think it is a VERY bad idea to get induced while your baby is still high. That is one of the reasons that leads to a c-section. If she doesnt engage or if you push and push and push and cant get her to drop lower, you will have a c-section. Inductions are, typically, sped up by breaking of the water. BUT... if your daughter is a floater then they can NOT break your water so you are most likely in for a crappy induction

I wouldnt do it
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2009