What does Fondant taste like?

I have never used fondant before to ice a cake, I have heard that it's not that great. It would be much easier to use, but would really appreciate some input. (sorry about the spelling). I am thinking about using white fondant for one cake, and chocolate for the second cake. HELP!!!

sassycat000

Asked by sassycat000 at 2:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• It taste like sugar and flour. You get a nice flavor by using a great frosting underneath, generally a buttercream.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It's nauseatingly sweet!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• People say I'm weird because I like the way it taste and the chewy texture. I would much prefer a fondant cake versus a buttercream or regularly frosted cake. I have tasted fondant before that was not sweet at all, so I guess it depends on the flavor used. When I made my boys birthday cake iced with fondant I sweetened it a little bit using clear vanilla extract. I like it more for the texture and find that it keeps the cake moister for longer.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 3:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• If you're a home cook (not a professional baker) there's a recipe for a marshmallow based fondant that's supposed to taste really good. I haven't used it myself as I'm not that daring, but you can try it if you like: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Marshmallow-Fondant/Detail.aspx
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 4:06 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• There are powdered and liquid flavorings that can be added to it to make it taste better. It is usually used to give the cake a smooth professional appearance. If you can make it on your own? BIG Kudo's to you dear. It's a pain in the but to make and work with if you ask me.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Have you ever eaten a white tootsie roll? It kind of tastes like that.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 5:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I love it but a lot of people don't, it's not overly sweet but it's very chewy. You need to put buttercream underneath anyway to make it stick and give the cake a smooth surface because it won't camouflage bumps. Use a tasty buttercream then anyone who wants to pull the fondant off and leave it can do that but still have frosting on their slice.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:42 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• yuck! even to the marshmellow version YUCK!
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:18 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Sugary, waxy mush marshmallow. It is nasty.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I don't like it...I think it's too sweet. I don't like icing or frosting though. Fondant to me just has an odd texture.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2009