Is it like this everywhere?

Ok, the first church I attended had a pastor that was notorious for bringing out private stuff from the pulpit that his congragation told him in private. Then, I started going to another church and missed a sunday night to play softball with my team ( a lot of them could only play or practice on sunday night) and he brought that out while preaching, which embarrassed me SO much. My BIL is a preacher and brought something out about my personal stuff last night, even though he didn't used names I knew what he was talking about. Now I'm going to a different church and this hasn't happened yet, but I'm afraid to talk to anyone about stuff I'm going through because I'm don't want to be "preached" on...is this normal? I'm not bashing...I love the Lord and I want to be in church, but it's the people that's getting to me!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've never had this happen. I'm sorry that you were violated like this. I pray that you can find a church home with many trustworthy people to support you.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:10 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It would not hurt to be honest with the minister. Let them know that was a big problem with the other churches you attended. Tell them that if you seek their counsil you want the situation to be kept out of the sermon. Remind them you go to church for fellowship NOT to be shamed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• That sounds pretty insane. I've never experienced anything like that. I'd be furious.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't say its "normal", but after being in church for 25 years, I have learned to not tell anything in confidence that I wouldn't want everyone else knowing. I dont think people letting things slip is always purposeful but people, even pastors make mistakes.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 3:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• If that happends, speak up. Go right to the pastor and say you do not appreciate it one bit. What is it with folks that they revere a preacher so much as to not say something. They are human not angelic. If it happens speak up. Don't shy away and not go back, stand up for yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Sorry that man created "Churches" have treated you like this. It does NOT sound like Bible believing, Bible teaching to me. If a pastor feels the need to embarass his congregration into attending then that pastor needs to seriously re-think his calling in life. God gave all of us free will and NONE of us the right to judge others or badger them into attending
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:22 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I guess this is one of the perks of going to a bigger church. My pastor never has any clue about what is going on in my life, LOL.

I am sorry that this keeps happening to you. I think you should be honest with your pastor now and give him one more chance to respect your privacy. I don't know the situation (what he shared) it could have been innocent teasing in his opinion, and he might have no clue that what he said embarassed you.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:14 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• never ever heard that before.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 7:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It's a shame this paster has to use his congregation to get his sermons. Correct me if I'm wrong. what bible is he preaching from. sometimes christians haven't learned that GOD teachs us not to gossip. Find another church where the lay people are not just wanting thier ears tickled.
    catherine595

Answer by catherine595 at 7:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I attend, a small church and my husband is son of the house, we are incourage to keep our private life private and our Pastor would never reveal anything anyone said to him in confidence.
    Ministerswife

Answer by Ministerswife at 7:54 PM on Sep. 21, 2009