4 year old girl "exploring" her privates?

I walked in to my daughters room during nap time last week to check on her. She had fallen asleep with her panties half down and her hands down near her "chuney" (ladies, i'm stressed, don't give me and crap about calling private parts by silly names... that's the way we roll in my house.) It was very obvious that she was playing with herself or at least checking out what was going on down there... but she's 4... she's not 7, she's not 10, she's 4 years old... is this too young? is there something wrong? Is this an indication that she's been playing dr? or that somone else has been messing around down there? or am i reading to much into it? advice ladies...i'm traumatized

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Stop freaking out she was probably scratching! And if she wasn't, it's no big deal!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• OMG are you serious? It's all totally normal. Hey, I was changing my 18 mos old granddaughter today and she touched herself OMG.... It's normal. Don't call attention to it. Sheezzz...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Its normal. Many young girls and boys do it (even as young as 4 or younger). They do not know what they are doing. They are exploring and, don't be freaked out, they sometimes realize it can feel good. You have to make sure she doesn't do it at school, neighbors house, etc. Simply by talking about privacy. I wouldn't bring it up to her or ask her what she was doing. You don't want her to feel like it is wrong, because it is normal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• They are gonna wonder what that is. Just as well as there mouth, teeth, eyes, nose, etc. Atleast she does it at nap time!
    brikay1

Answer by brikay1 at 3:19 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It is very normal. My son is 16 months and every time a change his diaper he reaches down and grabs his wee wee and starts playing with it.
    mommyofJames08

Answer by mommyofJames08 at 3:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Very normal. Stop freaking out about it and don't make a big deal about it. Just let her know that it is something that is done in private....bedroom or bathroom.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2009