• In the Spotlight:

Why do you think differences in parenting styles are so upsetting to us?

i've been trying to figure this one out. any insight would be helpful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• cuz someone always wants to feel that they can do it better and are hurt if they hear they may not be. JMO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Close-mindedness. The belief that our ways are the best and everyone should do as we do.

Anonymous

• I don't think it's that any differences upset people, I think it's specific ones that get people upset. Particularly ones that some people consider abuse or neglect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Because everyone is afraid of being wrong. They have to point out other parent's short comings. Other people are just know-it-alls.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 3:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Because most of the CM users have this mentality:

"If you're not doing it my way you're not doing it the right way, I will always be right and you will always be wrong until you do exactly what I've done because my child is perfect and nobody could ever be a better parent than me. If you insult my parenting in any way, shape or form you have extremely offended me and even taken away from my righteousness, therefore I will argue with you til the death and prove once again that my way is the right way."
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• If someone's style isn't the same as mine, for instance, hitting...I don't do it and I don't think its right...and someone talks about how their child won't stop hitting and they've tried everything, time outs, spanking, taking things away, etc... how on earth can you not ask them how they thing that HITTING their child will teach them to STOP HITTING? So, if it is something as blatant as that, I'll go ahead and mention it, perhaps give another perspective to that person... but styles? I don't understand...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• tnm786 just change parenting to republicans.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Its so funny cause I admit all the time I don't know what I am doing and am willing to learn and try things - and i KNOW and understand that each child is different - MINE for example is probably the hardest infant I have heard of yet for a non medically challenged child - yeah, he throws fits, he had coilic, pooping issues, sleeping issues, allergy issues, I don't always make the right decisions, I read books, I enjoy him and love him with all my heart but I have no problem admitting a bad day - some people/parents seem to be in this daze of perfection. I dont' get it??
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

Exactly, lol.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 3:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• LOL anon:26!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2009