Does Mirilax effect my nursing baby?

Since my son has been born (10 weeks prior) i've been having trouble with #2's so I'm taking Mirilax and it helps greatly. I stopped taking it about a week ago and then my son went 4 days without pooping and he is a pretty regular once a day dumper. I exclusively breastfeed... would this be the reason? I also understand that his constipation is completely normal since he does nurse... but I didn't know if anyone had any answers, thanks!!

1st_time_mom23

Asked by 1st_time_mom23 at 3:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my proctologist said that mirilax is not absorbed by your body, and therefore my baby (while in my tummy) would not be affected by it. i would imagine it would be the same as if you were breastfeeding (i happened to stop taking mirilax a day before i gave birth and continued colace and fiber capsules). it is however pretty normal for a bf baby to have irregular stools- it could be due to something you ate, etc. if he's not straining to poop or doesn't look uncomfortable, i wouldn't worry too much about it.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 4:50 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• well, YES. Anything you have your baby has. Miralax is not a stimulant and not addictive but it may not be the best thing for an infant learning to poop. My son has to use it but he was 11 months when he started it - they still have to learn to push out the stool on their own, I would discontinue for your baby. I am sure its uncomfy for you but so much more important for your baby to learn to stool -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Breastfed babies can go a week or more without a bowel movement.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2009