What age is normal for your daughter to have a boyfriend?

My daughter is 11 going on 30 and really likes this boy in her class. She is in 6th grade. I know that I had a so called boyfriend back when I was in 6th grade, but all we did was play basketball together...she wants to go to the movies and hang out at the mall with him. Am I crazy to say no? She hasn't even got her period yet!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I started dating at 15. Ever since I can remember my parents told me I could start dating at 15. I liked boys before then and I was asked to go hang out or see a movie before but I knew I wasn't allowed to. 2 months after I turned 15 years old I got my first boyfriend.

My point is, if you give your child firm rules without being unreasonable she WILL listen and obey you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I know that in kindergarten my son had a girlfriend. She dumped him for another boy and it hurt my son's feelings. He's almost 15 and hasn't had another girlfriend yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• 16 IMO.Boyfriends want more then to just hold hands. So the later they are alowed to have one the better.

Answer by louise2 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Girls really should not date until they are mature enough to marry. That's what dating is for--the selection of a marriage partner. What I did with my daughter was to constantly teach her what were the important character traits that she should look for. I also taught her to let the guy be the pursuer so that she would know that he was interested in her for the person that she is and not just for sex. It worked out very well for us. She was a virgin when she married at the age of 31.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• lol
    Anon is so funny.
    My mom was firm and very reasonable but i didn't listen to her! And i was a good kid too. Obviously not an angel. But i rarely got in trouble and did well in school. ...The trick is not to get caught. She will either listen ...or find ways to do what she wants without you knowing.

Like it's really hard to say that you're going to the movie with some girlfriends and have some boys be there too? Or when she has a sleepover at a friends house. Or even a boyfriend at school! ...
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:33 PM on Sep. 21, 2009