Would you take a 3 year old to a movie?

It's going to be a double feature, Toy Story 1 and 2 in 3d. If there is something on TV that she likes she will sit and watch it and she even gets glued to shows she finds really interesting. She will be 3 pretty soon and it would be kind of a nice birthday present, just her and mommy at a movie. Would you attempt taking a 3 y/o to a kids movie?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:38 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It just depends on the kid. I took my 4yo to see a movie a few months ago. He did very well but I had to remind him to whisper if he needed to tell me something. My 3yo has never been to the movies yet, but I'd like to take her sometime....

Would I take my 3yo to a double feature? Ehh, I doubt it. But as long as you know you might have to leave early and don't mind, there's no trouble.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 3:53 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I did take my 3yr old to the movies. ...my 4yr old too!
    but not for a movie that long!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• i did! I took him to a late feature so that he was already wound down. I dont know about the double feature though. I guess you could wing it and if it only works for one of the movies then atleast you got through that much. :)
    brikay1

Answer by brikay1 at 3:45 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• My son just turned 4 and he's been to a lot of movies, well over 100. If she can sit through a movie at home she can do it in the theatre with a bag of popcorn to nibble on. I'd be more worried about her keeping her glasses on. They only come in one size and they're really too big for little heads. Trying to focus on the picture without glasses might give her a headache.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I took my 3 year old to see Ice Age. While she moved around quite a bit, she was pretty good for the most part. I think kids that age would be less able to stay still at a longer movie (more than an hour and a half) But w/ popcorn, that would be great. At home, she doesn't stay still, she jumps up and goes to her room and comes back in whenever she wants to watch again. She actually did very well considering Ice Age 3 was longer than most animated movies. She really loves the characters though in that series.
    TeenerBeener75

Answer by TeenerBeener75 at 4:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• as long as it was a kids movie we took ours and they had no problem sitting and watching it, we normally picked a time of day when there were fewer people.

Our favorite thing to do is the drive in with the kids we have been doing that since they were very small, its cheaper, we bring our own food and drinks and if the kids get tired they lay in sleeping bags in the van and fall asleep watching the movie. No one complains if your child ask you to take them to the bathroom or ask for a drink, its great :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:25 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• My 3 almost 4 year old.....in a heartbeat.

My 2 almost 3 year old...not a chance in HELL! LOL

It really does depend on the kid. Just realize that once there you may have to leave early and accept that.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:51 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I started taking my daughter to the movies when she was two. The very first one was Flushed Away, she was well behaved but fell asleep half way through. We've been to several since (none that long) but she has always behaved and especially if it was something she was extremely excited about. I will say however that when we took her to see Ice Age 3 in 3D she did not enjoy having to wear the 3D glasses, and neither did I! And when you took them off the screen was very fuzzy. I would maybe try a single feature first and see how she handles it! And maybe even buy or rent a 3D movie for home to practice and see how she does with the movie and glasses.
    lynda_dora

Answer by lynda_dora at 12:27 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Depends on the child. My first went to movies with us all the time. 2nd just now got to the point of being able to sit through it and even now has trouble (she's 6 but has high functioning autism) she gets very overwhelmed. My third, depends on the movie. Toy story, if you think it will keep her attention and she doesn't have issues with loud noises, lights, etc. Then sure, try it out, but don't be upset if you have to leave early. Just watch her and if she gets restless don't make her sit through more than she wants to. Especially since this is a b-day present.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 2:40 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I took mine to see the third Pirates of the Carribean movie. He had a blast.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 11:00 AM on Sep. 22, 2009