military wives

if you have gone through or are about to go through a deployment...did you stay on base or did you go home to family and friends? my husband is deploying and he thinks i should go home to family and friends so i have them there for support and whatever else i may need and just have someone there for me. i agree somewhat, but i also dont want to go home cause i know ill have to constantly talk about it and i dont want to. like i dont mind talking about it but i dont want that to be the only thing everyone wants to talk about it... so what did or are you going to do? i dont know what section to put this in thats why its in just for fun.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have never lived on base and my DH is deployed right now. If given the choice, i'd rather be on base. At least the people there know what i'm going through. There's a common bond. Here where i live it's rare to meet another military wife and rarer still to meet one with a deployed husband. ...my life here is a lonely one even with the support of family.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:42 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I stayed part time with a few people.
    A couple weeks with in-laws, because any longer and I would've killed. A month or so with my parents. And the rest with my best friend. They're all slightly close together, so it wasn't that big of a deal for me.
    I didn't stay on base because we wouldn't be returning there when he came back. :]

If that's not the case with you, and there's wives/friends you've made on that base, and you don't want to move, then don't. The support system is VERY helpful.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 3:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I stayed with family because we were just dating when he deployed although I was expecting. When the option arises now though I will stay where we live now. We have an upper hand, though, because our family and friends are only a 6 hour drive away if I wanted to visit sometimes. But now I have fellow army wives, who might even be going through the same thing at the same time, plus the kids to keep me busy. It really depends on your current living situation and how comfortable you are there.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:47 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• i dont know too many people here, we have only been here a short time, i know my neighbors, and one of his friends and his wife. when he gets back hes done in the military, and will be coming home. so i dont know, i understand that there will be that common bond thing with the other military wives here on base. but i dont know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• We have been through 2 deployments, and both times I have gone back home. The first time was because my daughter was so young and i didn't know anyone up here. The last time was more for the benefit of my family than myself.
    There are pros and cons to it. Saving money being one of the big perks, but it does get hard when you have to deal with people who dont really understand. I guess it all depends on you and your individual situation.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 4:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• The first time my husband deployed after getting back in the Army, I stayed with my Mom. I really only stayed there because I was already in Michigan, and immediately after getting back in they sent him over to Iraq, so I never even set foot where he was stationed. He's leaving again in January, and this time I'm staying on base. It's just going to be easier for me that way. Plus I really don't like moving :)
    JaimeLynP

Answer by JaimeLynP at 6:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I am a mother and a wife - of course I stayed where my husband and I called home at that time. Life needs to continue as normally as possible for the children and as a wife, it is important to become involved with command and community activities.
    If my husband and I were to divorce, God forbid, I wouldn't go running home to my family. I would remain a strong parent and keep my children's lives as normal as possible and work on my life for myself.
    I took advantage of all my husband's deployments to enrich myself in many ways, to spend time with my daughters as only a mother can, to make lifelong bonding relationships with other military wives, and to support my husband through letters, emails, and packages galore.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:36 AM on Sep. 22, 2009