FF in a single cab truck?????

Is it ok to forward face a nine month old in a single cab truck because of the air bag? I mean..wouldnt it be smarter to just put her in the middle and rear face her? My ex had my daughter forward facing in her car seat and I flipped out on him because she is supposed to be rear facing. He said that his truck manual and the car seat said to forward face if there is an air bag..no matter if you turn it off or not. Can anyone find for me if this is true or not? I live in Alabama.

BrownEyedBarbie

Asked by BrownEyedBarbie at 3:45 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I believe you should turn the air bag off, and RF. But, I have not read the owners manual to your car, and your car seat.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• http://www.dmv.org/al-alabama/safety-laws.php#Child_Car_Seat_Laws

Newborns - 1-year-olds: ride in an approved infant-only, rear-facing car seat, in the back seat of the vehicle. Harness straps should be at or below shoulder level.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 3:49 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Ohh, okay, that one says in the back seat of a vehicle... I'll find the truck one. :]
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 3:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Okay - this is what I gathered from a forum I perused.

Most states don't have safe and appropriate laws regarding this.

If the child is under a year or under 20 lbs, they *must* be rearfacing. If the child is under 33 lbs, they *should* be rear-facing. But you can NEVER put a rear facing carseat in front of an airbag. If you can shut off the airbag, then it's okay to put a child under 12 in the front seat (if there is not an alternate, safer option available).

It doesn't really state if it's okay if the airbag can be turned off... on the safe side, I would RF - but you could also contact your local police department - they'll know the official law and protocol on the matter. :]
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 3:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• We had our daughter in the middle and rear faced, she was 18 months old when we got rid of the truck. Shes almost 20 months and still rear face..

and just on a personal note, I'd kill my ex if he ff my daughter at only 9 months.. that is so dangerous and against the law in most states.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 4:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It is recommended to turn the airbags off and RF as normal.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Check with your local law enforcement agency. It is the law they must rear face until 1 and 20lbs in only 9 states. (last time I checked, and I don't remember if your state was one of them) If your state isn't one of them, he's broken no law.

Safety-wise...if his airbags can be turned off, the baby should be rear facing. If the airbags cannot be turned off, forward facing so the airbag doesn't KILL him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• ALLLLLL states have the law to follow carseat manufacturers restrictions, there are NO carseats on the market that allow FFing before 1 and 20lbs...NONE...its illegal and deadly. Theres no doubt a child under 1 and 20lbs WILL FOR SURE DIE OF INTERNAL DECAPTATION IN AN ACCIDENT...EVEN MINOR!!!!!

BTW even FFing the airbag will kill a child...the airbag will snap their neck as will the forward impct, if the airbag can't go off baby can not ride int he truck PERIOD.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Never ever put a car seat infront of an airbag. And no it's not okay to forward face an infant... no matter what.
    So he either needs to shut off the air bag and rear face which is okay
    Or the middle might be an option... but I'm not sure if the air bag would still be a problem.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:53 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Hm, if this were my situation, I just wouldnt allow my child to be placed in that vehicle until my ex got a proper vehicle for transporting my child. DONT ALLOW HIM TO FORWARD FACE HER ! That is just stupid....
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 22, 2009