Does this test schedule sound right?

I'm 39 and 17 wks pregnant w/my 2nd (and last) child. My new OB's office scheduled me for a Genetic Counseling appt 2 weeks before my Level 2 Ultrasound. Both kids are with my husband of 7 yrs and I was adopted with no family medical history. (There were no problems or genetic conflicts with my first child/me/DH.) Since the genetic counseling is supposed to go over any possible problems or potential ones from the results of the Level 2, why would they schedule it beforehand? I'm not sure I even need that appointment. Thoughts? Thanks!

Heidi70

Asked by Heidi70 at 3:47 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Honey, it's your age.

Your eggies are old.  The docs are just testing As a precaution.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Thanks for that answer, Anonymous, but the TEST is the Level 2 ultrasound. How can they go over results BEFORE the test? The genetic counseling isn't a test.
    Heidi70

Answer by Heidi70 at 3:51 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• i guess its to make sure there are no surprises be4 hand.
    MyPrincesses421

Answer by MyPrincesses421 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• okay.. i thought the same thing..but when i called they told me that the genetic counseling is the test. Dont ask why its called genetic counceling when its the actual test. All they did was look at the baby and test for things like DS and other genetic abnormalities. Stuck my finger and that was it. That was my genetic counceling. I felt real stupid when i called and asked them the same thing.
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• They can now do genetic testing through blood, so maybe that will be included in it, and you may be able to go over the results that day. Either that, or they may want to prepare you for any possible outcomes, so that you are fully educated before hand. Genetics is a tricky thing. My doctor just asked me Monday if I wanted it done (I'm only 23), and explained to my husband and I that you can have multiple children without any genetic abnormalities, then have one with a genetic abnormality. It's probably just a precaution to test prior to the ultrasound.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 6:06 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Thank you all for your great answers, especially MyPrincesses, ProudParent and laird. VERY helpful!
    Heidi70

Answer by Heidi70 at 2:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2009