How can I get my 18 month old to eat in his high chair?

My ds is 18 months and we cant get him to eat anything from his highchair. He will eat anything you give him while he is standing and free to walk around but he throws food off his highchair. I have tried being harsh and saying you throw it u lose it and go to bed hungry but it never works. Any suggestions?

MissTacoBell

Asked by MissTacoBell at 3:50 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Stick with it. You tell him, you throw it, you lose it, you don't get more. After a while it will sink in especially when his tummy gets grumbly. But if you back down once, he sees that and will keep throwing, so you have to stick with it. Start in the morning and go through the whole day... even snacks. You could try not having the tray on and just scoot his high chair up to the table. Maybe it would make it a better transition for him.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• First put him in the high cair with out feeding him. Maybe just a drink. Then feed him in it. Tell him you will not eat unless you are sitting down.
    I would not alow my kids to eat and wander around the house. they either sat and ate or did't eat.

Answer by louise2 at 4:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Start when he can sit up. Oops. Too late. I fed my son in his high chair. He wanted to be a big boy.  I did not allow him to stand to eat, ever!  No crumbs or dirty hands in my home (ha ha ha!)

You make the rules. When your son gets hungry enough, he'll sit in his chair to eat!  Only offer him food at the high chair, limit the amount of food he gets so you don't have a mess.  Use the tray as his plate.  No dishes on the floor. 

I assume he's off the bottle?  No, I won't assume.  He's big enough to use a sippy cup or regular cup, too.

Ya gotta work on it!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• stop feeding him when he is standing up. if he wants food offer it too him but tell him he has to sit in his chair. if he refuses then dont feed him.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:06 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• btw. letting him walk around while eating, even the most softest snacks, is a chocking hazard for toddlers.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I bought dd a booster seat at 15 mos and she's been eating with me at the table ever since. She loves it! I also give her a snack like grapes or whatever in the living room but she didn't like that highchair! They have some booster seats with an attachable tray that she would use when she was at gma's or gpas at 8 mos
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:23 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I totally agree with 07lilmama...my son has been in a booster seat at our dining room table since about 14 months. He LOVES it and loves when we sit and chat with him while he eats(if our times are off:() When I am preparing dinner I ask him to go get in his chair and off he goes climbing up in his booster seat trying to buckle himself in:) We also use the booster for coloring(scribbling) and experimenting with Playdoh(supervised). Try it...maybe it'll work for your lil one too:)
    bamsmama23

Answer by bamsmama23 at 9:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2009