How do you read to an 18 month old?

I have a bunch of books to read to my son and every time I try he grabbs the book from me, closes it, throws it and runs off. He only says dada and momma once in a while and I want to help him learn words. Any help or suggestions on how you got your child to sit down and let you read to them?

MissTacoBell

Asked by MissTacoBell at 3:54 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, you are the parent. So don't let him grab it from you. I'm betting that you are stronger then he is. When he grabs it make him let go. Then get all excited. Say "wait! listen, listen to this!" then open it and start to read. keep reading even if he doesn't seem interested. As long as he can still hear you keep reading.
    Toddlers like to move and go. Try to find a book that is interactive. I used to read a Teddy Bear book to my son when he was younger and we would act out the movements "Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear turn around. Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear touch the ground!" etc etc.
    It may also help if you let him pick out the books. take down 3 books and say "which one would you like for me to read?"
    make it simple. books about colors. shapes and other books with short sentences or single words.
    Point at the words. show that you read from left to right. ask him what he think swill happen next!

...sorry. outta characters.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Put him in the high chair
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Start when they are very young and teach them respect for books and words! Then by the time they are older, less grabbing!

Remember, you need to teach him to get ready for school!

Read outstandingLove's response..... and rememer, reading signs (like McDonald's or Chuck E Cheese is a pre-reading skill)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• My middle son was like your son. With my older son, he loved books from the beginning. I wouldn't worry too much. Babies develop different skills at different times, & different interests at different times. Try getting books with pictures of his favorite characters. My middle son loved Pooh Bear, so I'd get Winnie the Pooh Books, my youngest son loved Thomas the Tank Engine........

I'd sit down with him & a book a couple of times a day, when he's not wound up, & try just a page or two. If he doesn't want to read, don't force him, but keep trying. My middle son was a real late bloomer when it came to language and reading. he didn't talk in sentences until he was 4, & by the middle of 3rd grade he still couldn't read at 1st grade level......but by the end of 5th grade, he was reading at a post college graduate reading level (according to the schools tests) & he did competitive speech & debate in high school & won awards.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:12 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I read to my son before bedtime since he was tiny. Now, he reads before he falls asleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• my dd went through that stage at 18 mos. She only said mama, dada and baba (for ball). I started using flash cards and quit guessing what she needed. I taught her to sign at 6 mos or so but really started pushing the signs when she hit 18 mos and spoke the word as I signed. Suddenly at 19 mos she started talking and learned a new word everyday! Now she is 22 mos and trying to form sentences plus signs on top of it. As far as reading, when she would grab the book and walk off, I'd pick up another one and start reading that one until we went through about 5-6 and then I'd say "bedtime!" She'd take a book in bed with her until she got tired, then she handed me the book in exchange for her water. GL! He will get it VERY soon! Just keep trying and maybe try signing too, it helped my dd comunicate her wants and she started talking.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:11 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• ddi u read to him as a baby. i stared reading to both of my kids as newborns. my dd is now 30 mts and she comes to me and brings books and we read alot
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• my son did the same thing. we took it as he didnt want to go to bed. and what we did was sit with him in bed and let him pick the book and read one page at a time then spend the rest of the time looking at the pictures in the book and talking about what was in teh pictures and that worked for him. now he tells us all about the pictures in the books
    Kailsmom

Answer by Kailsmom at 7:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I'd look for short books with large pictures and few words or just straight up picture books where you make up very short stories. I love Sandra Boynton's board books because they are short and have a simple but catchy rhythm.  You could try "Spot" books which have the flip pannels also. . . Just keep it short and sweet and pick a very calm time like first thing in the morning, right before nap, or bedtime.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Hard paged picture books with flaps that he can open up. Leave them out for him to look at on his own time. When he sits down with a book by himself and looks at pictures, this is him redaing to himself, which is fine too. I would contact an early interventionist and see about questions and help if he isn't too verbal yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Sep. 22, 2009