my baby is almost 4 months. and i am breastfeeding, but lately my milk supply is so low. did anyone experence this and found a way to increase their milk.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ahhh yes... the infamous 4 month milk drop. :-)

Feed baby 'til s/he quits on his/her own. Then, pump with a good quality dual electric pump until dry... then continue for another 5 minutes. Do this around the clock after every feeding & between feedings if baby goes more than about 2 1/2 hrs between feedings.

Fenugreek: TOTAL life saver. 3 pills 3x/day

If you do this, within a week baby will be completely full at feedings & you'll begin a fridge supply. Give it 2 weeks, you'll have several bottle in the fridge & be starting a freeze supply.

Just be persistent :-) G'luck.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 4:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• A really good pump plugged into a really good outlet!

The last time I pumped, I used a different wall socket and had more power! I also didn't know milk supply ran low at 4 monhs. My son gave me up at that time. I took it personally (nah!).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:33 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• yep like rkoloms said just keep nursing. Probably you are making enough but you are just making enough to feed baby. It happens about this time.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 5:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Just keep nursing. A lot of moms misdiagnose themselves. Breasts feeling less full is NOT a supply issue. Nor is a drop in pump output. If you're still changing about 5-6 dipes daily at this point, you're fine.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I agree with all the above.

I also read somewhere that eating oatmeal helps. I'm not sure if it's true or not but I always ate alot of oatmeal just because I like it and never had a problem nursing 5 kids.

Also, make sure you're getting enough to drink. Dehydration can cause a lower supply.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I thought this was my problem also with my 1st two kids. I was not informed properly.Just because you dont feel full dosent mean your losing your supply it just means that the your body is making just enough to feed babys demand. If you feel that ou are truly losing your supply Feunogreek is great and there is this herbal tea called mothers milk that works also. It is an aquired taste but it works.

Like all the others have said make sure you drink lots of water/fluids. The less you drink the lower your supply gets.

Keep up the good work tho!
    CountryMamaof3

Answer by CountryMamaof3 at 10:19 AM on Sep. 24, 2009