Is it still worth it to have my 8 month old baby drink the few drops of milk I produce a day?

I am pretty much dried up but I am still able to get a few drops out a day. I put these right onto her tongue or she will try to feed while taking a bath with me.

Are these few drops doing ANYTHING??

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 4:33 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• are you expressing the milk? cos you won't get nearly as much out as when the baby nurses. but yes, the few drops are getting in her and giving her something, not a lot, but it's something. do you want to keep nursing? cos you can eat oatmeal and/or take fenugreek to get your supply back up.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 4:41 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• not sure how many "drops" were talking about but here's some info. Even if you breastfeed once a day, it is worth it. When you are exposed to an illness, your body begins making antibodies to fight the illness weather you get it completely or not. After approx. 8-12 hours, your body has made some antibodies. You nurse, then pass these good antibodies onto your baby. This is one of the reasons lactation consultants and pediatritions who have lactation training, encourage breastfeeding until age 2.

I guess you could say "every drop counts"!
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 4:45 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• EVERY DROP COUNTS.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I think it woul depend on age of the infant. If she's reaching the age where you were planning to wean, I would save myself the trouble. But if you're nowhere near that, consult a lactation expert or look online about increasing your supply. At the same time, while every drop may count, they count the most in the beginning and the amount of stress for a few drops may not be worth your sanity. You're obviously a caring and concerned mom and you know what's best!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 6:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Try "no more milk" tea from Babies R Us, and try taking Fenugreek, 3 pills, 3 times a day to help produce more milk. EVERY DROP COUNTS MAMA! YOU HOLD ON TIGHT!
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 7:19 PM on Sep. 21, 2009