Want more from Latimer's book?

• Bush, it turns out, is like millions of Americans: "I haven't watched the nightly news one night since I've been president," he said.
• Laura Bush, says Latimer, "was secretly a Democrat for all intents and purposes, though it really wasn't much of a secret."
• Maine Republican Sen. Susan Collins is fond of sending angry, middle-of-the-night e-mails to staffers because she's frustrated that her colleague and rival Olympia Snowe gets more and better press. As a result, reports Latimer, she rips through press secretaries like 30-packs at a beer-pong tournament. (A Collins press secretary didn't respond to a request for comment.)
• Interviewing for the job, Latimer was told by Chief of Staff Josh Bolten that Bush's White House was "the most ethical administration in history." He added: "Looks like even Scooter Libby might get off."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Several years after Colin Powell left as Secretary of State, he was to appear with administration officials at an event. "In the next draft can you change 'Secretary Powell' to 'General Powell'? He prefers to go by 'General' instead of 'Secretary'," read a note from his people to Latimer, who thought it looked like the general was trying to distance himself from the White House. "I'm happy to report that the president didn't accommodate him. 'Secretary Powell' stayed in," Latimer writes.
    • While Karl Rove was appearing on Fox News and writing op-eds as an independent political analyst, he was privately smearing Democrats. "Karl spread rumors through the White House that one of Obama's potential vice presidential running mates -- and a United States senator -- had beaten his first wife. 'Karl says it's true,' the president assured a small group of staffers. Then knowing Karl, he quickly added, 'Karl hopes it's true,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• • For a commencement address at Furman University in spring 2008, Ed Gillespie wanted to insert a few lines condemning gay marriage. Bush called the speech too "condemnatory" and said, "I'm not going to tell some gay kid in the audience that he can't get married." (Of course, Bush ran his 2004 campaign telling that kid just that.)
    • Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice "adamantly opposed" any reference to jailed Egyptian dissident Ayman Nour when Bush traveled to Egypt to promote freedom. She won

Donald Rumsfeld had to be talked out of editing his own entry on Wikipedia, which he referred to as "Wika-wakka." He was a Drudge Report reader and used to watch YouTube clips that made fun of his press conference performances.
    • Bush, when told that Idaho Sen. Larry Craig had been the latest GOPer to be caught in a sex scandal involving boys or men: "What is up with all these Republicans?"

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• What's the point of this question?
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 6:49 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Considering from what I have read this guy had limited access to the President and really was not an insider I don't put much stock into this book. I think it is as accurate as the book where a guy claimed Obama was his gay lover. Anyone can write or stretch anything. I assume this is Sweet A Kins posting anon this sounds like her kind of topic.lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I assume this is Sweet A Kins posting anon this sounds like her kind of topic.lol

Sorry to disappoint, I don't hide behind ANON

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:47 PM on Sep. 21, 2009