When to give my son "solids"?

So my 3 month old has been taking a bottle for 2 months now and he started out taking 4 oz each time. He moved up to 6 oz about 1 month ago and he started taking 8 oz about 2 weeks ago. Now he still seems hungry even after 8 oz! He screams and cries even after he's been burped and changed and doesn't stop until he has a bottle in his mouth. I was wondering if now would be a good time to try solid food? Maybe it'll help him not feel so hungry?

TotallyWarped

Asked by TotallyWarped at 5:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can sit upright and hold up his head

Is curious, looking at everything around him

Has mastered tongue movement

Seems hungry after getting a full day's portion of milk (eight to 10 breastfeedings or about 32 ounces of formula
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 5:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• every baby is different. The American Academy of Pediatrics says you should start your child on solids between 4 and 6 months, but this is only a recommendation. "There isn't anything magical about a certain age
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 5:12 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I started my dd at 3.5 mos with a few bites of rice cereal. She was drinking 6 oz but seemed very interested in what I was eating so I decided it was time to let her try it. She didn't sleep any longer and nothing really changed. for 2 wks she got 2-6 spoonfuls (baby spoonfuls) of rice cereal and then I made it twice a day and added veggies and fruits at 4 mos. Her tongue reflux was gone after the first 2 feedings and she started learning how to use the spoon. By 5 mos she was trying to feed herself. If you feel he is ready try some rice cereal first. He doesn't need a lot at all, but it is also an exploration thing and he will want to get messy.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:18 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• If he's still hungry, why aren't you simply giving him more formula? Feed on demand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Anon, she is feeding on demand if you read the question all the way through.
    She is asking if this would be a good time to start introducing solids AS WELL. Relax.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 6:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• And just because he's hungry is not a reason to start solids! That will fill his tummy right then, but that is taking calories away from him that he NEEDS to grow or he wouldn't be crying for more formula!

Not to mention that if she did give solids, he'll be full for a short bit and then even MORE hungry after that is digested!

Just give more formula! Cereal and baby food is not the answer to a HUNGRY baby!

You relax.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Anon, read, then respond. Don't project your opinions onto others.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Um...I did read and respond. And I'm not projecting opinion, I'm offering facts into evidence.

The major lack of reading comprehension on this site is frightening. I hope to GOD you people aren't the one's homeschooling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• have you talked to your pediatricion or midwife? i breastfed both past 3 months but once i had gotten them onto bottles i would just give them more formula. i didnt start solids with either until they were crawling. just bottles of formula or added some cereal in there. if your baby drinks a whole 8 oz bottle and still wants more maybe there is some kind of digestive thing going on.
    trelimon

Answer by trelimon at 8:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• start solids at 5-10 months imo, depending on your child's development.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2009