"shotgun marriages"

Can a marriage that coincides with a pregnancy last? I don't mean that it was BECAUSE of the preg (maybe it was, maybe it wasn't). I have had three friends who were pregnant when they got married get divorced in the last year...one of them was married for 24 years.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• Mine didn't last. I think any marriage that has a foundation based on the wrong reason is destined for trouble. Some can keep it going but others can't. So I guess it's all about the people involved and what they want from the marriage.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:25 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Yes, they can, but it puts a lot of added stress onto the new marriage. We did a "shotgun marriage". It's been tough and there are days I honestly wonder if we will last. And then there are days I know we will.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I was engaged to a guy, we were talking about in a few years getting married. I got pregnant, his family decieded that we needed to wed before I got "big". So at three months along, I got married. By the time the baby was born, he was never home, Then when our child was 7 months old he took off with our baby and left me. Next thing I got was divorce papers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I'd like to add, we were engaged before I got pregnant. We had every intention of getting married, but we wanted to be married before the baby was born. We've already admitted to each other we should've just waited. But it's too late now.
    Anonymous

• Anon :25 an Anon :26 (the second one) are the same anon. :) just so no confusion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• My Husband and I had only known each other two months when we got engaged, seven months later I was pregnant and two months later we got married. That has been ten years ago and we couldn't be MORE in love still. Yeah we have had our ups and downs but determination, hard work and faith got us through.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• My DH and I got pregnant then got married and it's been 12 years now... so I know it can last. I know him and trust him better than anyone else.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 5:54 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Hubby proposed on our second date (although I made him promise on our first date to never leave me, lol). 1 week later or so we had sex for the first time (in ever sense of the word) and I got pregnant but miscarried. One year later, we got legally married 1 week after my 18th birthday (but we bought our rings and said our vows 6 months sooner but couldn't legally get married yet due to my age and my mother's refusal to sign the papers because it meant she would lose money). On our honeymoon we found out I was pregnant with our oldest. Here we are 5 years after meeting and started dating stronger than ever.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 6:06 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• My parents were married shotgun style... they will celebrate 43 this year. So yes, if you are willing to put in the work, it can last.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 6:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It can last, but it's never a good idea to get married for those reasons. The marriage is about the two people what is the rush? When people rush marriage I cringe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Sep. 21, 2009