Is it ok if my 18 mo old is not repetitive?

I have an 18 mo old daughter that is very intelligent, but I have concerns. My daughter is not a repetitive child as far as speech is concerned. When she was 12 mos she pretty much would repeat small words and gestures when I ask her to do it. She had a vocabulary of about 15 sign launguage words that she would do often. Now that she is 18 mos she will only do them when she is ready. When I try to sit and communicate with her she wants nothing to do with me. She won't even sit still enough for me to read to her, but when she watches her favorite tv or dvd shows, she is very active and repetitive with what they do. I would see her signing and talking with her shows but she would not do them with me. Anyone know of anything i can do to maybe encourage her vocabulary usage with me. Please help !!

luvelymommy

Asked by luvelymommy at 5:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know about repetion but by 18 months she should be trying to talk to you with two words at a time. That is the reason why I stopped teaching my son sign language because at a year old he was only wanting to sign words not speak them. So I stopped signing and only spoke words with him and he could communicate just fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My duaghter is 2 and refuses to repeat ANYTHING she does it on her terms and her terms alone. She won't even say "cup" when ask/told to. And she say "I want cup" alot!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• You know, me and my mom notice with my son the more we Try HARD for his attention or repition, the less he responds to us - I wouldn't force it - she's probably NOT doing it because you want her to haha....
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:25 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• He has learned that he has autonomy in life and he doesn't WANT to do everything you want him to do. This is a good thing (think on down the road when he's a teen and being offered drugs). He is exercising the power of "no" and not being a trained monkey. My DS did the same thing at that age and it's frustrating because it's so cute when he does what you want. Just keep teaching him new things. Even though he won't do them back, or might not look like he is learning, they are little sponges at this age. They soak up things that you teach, and some things that you don't want them to learn! Good luck.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:17 AM on Sep. 22, 2009