My daughter has started to stutter should I worry?

My daughter has been talking well and in full sentences for some time now. Over the past couple of days she has begun to stutter when she talks.
She say I I I I I I would like a snack. I want a a a a a a cracker. She does not always stutter but it seems as if she is excited she will repeat one word several times. Is this normal for 2 1/2 year old?

momof2scots

Asked by momof2scots at 5:25 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she gets excited I can see where she might do that. Just talk to her pediatrician and see what's up. Is she nervous about anything? Is there something in the home or environment upsetting her? If not, she just might like the sound of certain words and likes to repeat them. I wouldn't worry.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• don't stress about it could be gone in a week or a few months. my sons are both in speech one who is two and a half and he just picked up a random stutter also (not why he's in speech) his therapist said her son did the same thing and sometimes they just do that and then it goes away. so no need to stress yet just keep an eye on it :) and pretty much ignore it. sometimes stress or anxiety (even good anxiety) maginifies it.
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 5:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Or it could be that she heard someone else stammering like this in RL or TV and she thinks it's amusing to do it herself. Kids pick up the oddest things. And like a previous post said, she could just be excited or in a rush to get what she wants. Just keep an ear out for when she starts to do it, and take note of what is going around right before and during the time that she does it. It could lead you to the reason.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 5:37 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• my son did the SAME EXACT thing. it drove me nuts!! but hes almost 3 now, and he doesnt do it. I think it was him getting excited about stuff, it will pass! When she does it, just say the word correctly.
    HaviksMum

Answer by HaviksMum at 5:41 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't worry quite yet. My son does the same thing and he is 4 now. Especially when he gets excited and he'll start talking fast and stutter. I did the same thing when I was younger and would get excited. I still do on occasion ,but it's not bad just when I get overly excited.
    Babydoll1015

Answer by Babydoll1015 at 3:04 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think that I have been done in by Sesame Street we have the all star alphabet from A to Z. When they sing the letter K they repeat it over and over again.
    I have been listening to her all day and it is never the same word and it is not every sentence. I will continue to watch this just in case the alphabet isn't my cause.
    momof2scots

Answer by momof2scots at 8:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2009