What are some things I can do with my 7 yr old to help her to grow.

I have a 7 yr old daughter who is very smart. Being that my work schedule is hectic I am not able to be at home with her as much. My hubby is at home with her but he doesn't do as much as I would like him to do. I want her to open up and be more social and learn more interesting things. I have a son with autism and an 18 mo old and most of my time and attention goes to them so I feel guilty because I think she needs just as much time. She tries to play and communicate with my autistic son and it helps him but it does not do anything for her. I want to find her more friends besides the ones at school but I haven't had the time. Anyways feel free to share some ideas of things i could do with her to help her to become more open and social .

luvelymommy

Asked by luvelymommy at 5:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Let her be, she will make friends and grow on her own. You cannot push her to do things to make friends any faster. Have her join Girl Scouts, I think her age would be Daisy or Brownies. If she likes to dance, get her in dance or even ice skating. She will meet friends that way and possibly become more social and outgoing. But you have to realize that she may never be an outgoing person or have lots of friends and that is ok.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• She should be fine. Once she makes friends in school then maybe she can have play dates with some of them on weekends or go to parties. She'll be fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Is there any way you can work part time or not at all so you can be with your children. A toddler and special needs child need to have a constant primary caretaker. Don't feel guilty, do something to change the situation. It may mean living in a smaller place, having only one car, or downsizing in other ways. You need to take responsibility for your children no matter what you have to give up.

There are lots of things for 7 year olds to do. There are sport teams or lessons. Maybe Daisy Girl Scouts or Camp Fire or something similar. Colleges often have programs for kids. The public libray often has info around the lobby about community activities.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 5:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Can you take her to work with you some times? My 4 year old daughter loves to come to work with me. It makes her feel special and she has to interact with other adults. I usually only take her for a couple of hours and she colors while I work for a bit and then I take her home. It won't help with your concerns about making friends with other children but she will be out of the house and being social.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Girl scouts-some leaders will do pick up and drop off, I know I did. Usually the leaders have a kid also in Girl scouts. :)

Have her help more with everything, make her feel important, I am sure she will be fine. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:31 PM on Sep. 22, 2009