Am I the only one?

My husband, daughter and I went to see my dad and stepmom... My daughter 4 and has her "4 year old moments" when my stepmom looks at me and said "I feel sorry for you when the baby is born" what the hell!!! I could not believe she said that to me!! I was so mad I couldn't even say anything!!
What has someone said to you that was so rude and what did you do about it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't know, I guess I don't know exactly the whole story, but it sounds like a pretty innocent comment. But, I don't know your step mom, and if it was meant to be said "rudely" or whatnot.

There's lots of things people have said to me that were rude. Depending on who they are, or what they say, I either speak up or I just roll my eyes and move on.
    Sometimes, it's just not worth it. :]
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 5:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I'm not seeing why you got upset. She is just saying that it will be a bit harder on you soon. I think she could have worded it better but she knows what you are in for. You can handle it though. The 4 yr old will settle down and it will be fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I see it as an innocent remark. Sorry, I don't see a sense of hatefulness or being mean. I think she was making a comical remark about your daughters moment. Sort of like, You poor thing - if they both have toot-like moments and they ever get them synced up they may tie you up and play cowboys and indians with you before dad can get home to save you. It seems more of a remark about how colorful, vibrant and declarative your daughter can be sometimes. I'm sure she meant no harm. I could see me saying that. Heck, I think I have said something like that before. I have two grandchildren and my DIL were talking about what if they had more - I said "Oh man, can you imagine having TWO Christian Shades?" We both laughed because we both know he can be a handful in his moments.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 5:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It was rude. I don't know your stepmom so I'm not sure what she was meaning to say. She could have been trying to show empathy. She probably just didn't realize how bad it sounded.

I became very ill when I was pregnant with my third child. I found out after I was born that I have a serious genetic disorder that for me was adult onset. My children were tested and all 3 have the same disease. This was in the 1980s.

We all needed a lot of medical treatment the first year after my youngest was born. People, including medical people, would ask me all the time in front of my kids why I had my son since I was so sick knowing he would be sick.

I would be so mad inside. I didn't know there was anything wrong with me. Even if I did you don't say in front of kids that they shouldn't have been born.

People say stupid things and don't realize how much it hurts.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 5:36 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Life is WAY TO SHORT to worry what other people think, say or feel about you. When people say things like this to you even the MIL have the courage to ask WHY. That usually embarasses them into keeping quiet or apologizing. Maybe she thought you were going to have a really tough time with 2 kids and meant nothing mean by it?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• SOMEBODY SAID BEHIND MY BACK WHEN I WAS PREGNANT ( A GROWN MAN WITH KIDS) THAT I WAS STILL A CHILD AND THAT I WAS TOO YOUNG TO TAKE CARE OF MY CHILD....WELL A FEW MONTHS LATER HIS DAUGHTER WHO WAS THE SAME AGE AS ME GOT PREGNANT AND THE BABY'S DAD WAS A BUM! WHELL I LAUGH STILL TO THIS DAY BECAUSE WE HAVE OUR OWN PLACE AND MY BOYFRIEND WORKS HARD ,IS ALWAYS HOME ....WHELL HIS DAUGHTER IS LIVING WITH HIM WITH HIS GRANDBABY AND THE GUY IS IN AND OUT OF HER LIFE AND IN AND OUT OF JOBS! SO YEAH -KARMA IN FULL EFFECT!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 6:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2009