teaching an 18 month old to hit back.......

A friend whom I hang out with often (ex-boxer) just taught her 18 month old daughter to hit back !! She has had a problem lately with other kids hitting her, and thought this was the right answer .... Obviously I think that there are other ways of resolving things of this nature in other ways first... Toddlers don't know right from wrong when it comes to hitting.... She said if a parent disagreed with this she'd invite them out to the parking lot do discuss (duke it out) it further.... This is crazy to me!!!!! how do I tell her I disagree without confrontation...?? She also crosses the line verbally disciplining my kids... Akward to say the least ~ )=

SweetAkMom

Asked by SweetAkMom at 5:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is 3 years old, my best friends son is the same age and he hits.....I finally got tired of it and told her to go ahead and hit him back if he hits her first. She turned around and hit him back ONE time and he no longer hits her. At 3 years old I think she can comprehend most of what I'm telling her.....18 months....not so much. Next time she tries disciplining your children cut her off and tell her you've got it handled....I'm sure after you do that once or twice she'll grasp whats going on. good luck
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 7:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I'd say stop hanging out with her and keep your kids away from her kids because they are going to be huge behaviour problems later in life.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 6:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Crosses the line verbally disciplining your children? How so?
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 6:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Well that's a strange one. There is a difference between defending oneself and just being a bully. there are some instances where I firmly believe that a child should hit back, this was a time honored practice that human society has used for centuries and it usually works. But now it's not PC. Personally I think this mom is a little over the top and needs to be hit herself lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 6:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Oh, and I have a 2 year old girl and a 3 year old boy and they both hit back. This behavior wasn't taught to them, I guess they just got tired of my bestfriends kids hitting them. Her and I both sat down with them and talked about hitting each other and told them that wasn't acceptable behavior. It was easier because her and I were in complete agreement about how to deal with it so I'm not sure what to do when you both have diffrent views. I would definitely either talk to her about it or quit being around her.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 6:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Time to find a new friend.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 6:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• she coulda taught her some karate
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Are you worried that she will want to fight you if you talk to her about it? If so then I agree with poster 1 and I'd just stop hanging out with her period. You shouldn't have to fight her because you don't agree with her.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 6:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I don't think she'd want to fight me... and yes she's already talked about getting her into martial arts.. I think hitting back is ok at some ages but not 18 months... But We as parents are to teach that hitting ISN"T ok... Even if you got hit first.... she's also about to have another baby soon.... which makes me think I should tell her its not the best option at this age !!! the baby is going to hit her and not know why she's getting hit back...
    SweetAkMom

Answer by SweetAkMom at 6:45 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• She needs to be educated on how intelligent ppl behave in civilized society.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2009