How long should I make my dd stay in bed for a nap (if she isn't sleeping) before I give up?

I have a 2 1/2 year old who was finally taking good naps (after a lot of work/training) and is not again after Potty training. I don't want her to think that if she protests long enough she'll get out of it, but I also can't let her sleep too late or bedtime is messed up. Please help!

lyn141

Asked by lyn141 at 6:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why take naps?
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 6:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I usually make mine lay down from 12:30 til about 4. If they actually sleep I let them up sooner. If they don't nap they get cranky, and the earlier I let them up instead of resting the crankier they are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I'd try to get her rest for at least an hour at this age. If she's still awake after an hour I'd give up and put her to bed a little earlier in the evening that day.

Of course, if she's sleeping 11 - 12 hours at night she may not actually need the nap, but I'd still try to enforce at least a quiet time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• About15-20 mins.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 6:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• My 2 and 3 year old decided a few months ago that they no longer want to take naps. I say as long as they aren't cranky, who cares. They do have to have what I call "relaxation" hour. If they are fighting or being crabby (like maybe woke up too early) I pop in a favorite movie and they sit on their blankets and pillows and just relax. During that hour they aren't allowed to get up unless it's to use the bathroom and they aren't allowed to bother each other. If they are still tired, "relaxation hour" is usually followed by "napping hour", lol.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 6:12 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I kinda agree with katrina. As long as my DD isn't acting tired, we don't take naps. Now if your DD is super cranky and won't go down, I'd let her stay until she falls asleep or becomes truly upset and not just whine-crying. Then I would have some kind of snuggle time. You may want to try a new nap routine or elongate it.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 6:22 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I leave my 2 yr old in his room for as long as his typical nap might be (usually 90 minutes) or until he protests. He's pretty good about amusing himself in his room without trashing it. He still naps most days but there are days when he just doesn't need it but a little quiet time does both of us a world of good.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• If she's not sleeping then what's the point of making her stay in the bed?

Answer by admckenzie at 9:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• My son is also 2 1/2. He is to the point where he is not napping everyday, she might not need as much sleep now. I still make him stay in his crib for 1 - 1 1/2. I think it is a good time for him to rest and ever few days he does end up falling asleep. On the days he doesn't nap I put him to bed about a half hour earlier because he does seem to get crankier earlier in the day.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 9:44 PM on Sep. 21, 2009