How do you get a toddler to sit in their carseat when they are throwing a temper tantrum?

I watch a 2 yr old & his mom says that he is the worst when it comes to getting in his carseat. He arches his back, screams, hits her & even tries to bite her. Any advice I could share w/ her on helping get her child in his carseat w/ no fuss (or less fuss, lol) would be greatly appreciated.

momma_of_kyky

Asked by momma_of_kyky at 6:33 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep a snack he likes on hand and only give it to him when he cooperates. If he does it well a few times he will soon equate his good behavior to the desired snack. I'm not sure how you get him to do it right the first time or two, but once he does this is a positive reinforcement. If she doesn't want to do snacks - a favorite toy, favorite song, or movie if she has a dvd player in the car might also work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• She might try letting him climb into the seat on his own. Admittedly, this might take longer so allow time but I find that if my son has some control, it helps.. Otherwise, keep talking to him calmly until he settles and realizes he can't win the battle.. In a pinch, I do use bribes!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• my son does this sometimes when he is very tired and wants to get out of the car. I just put my hand on his stomach and wait until he has worn himself out, i use my hand to make sure he cant fall out of his car seat in all of his wiggling and jerking. But if its possible i would bring the car seat into the house and let him climb into it and everytime he does give him a cookie or treat. And then next time you have to take him somewhere go ahead and show him the treat and give it to him right before you put him in the carseat so he is happy and occupied.
    bc19

Answer by bc19 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• We have a little counting game- "1, 2, .......3!!!!!" On 1, hold him like a baby, and with my right hand under his bottom (if the seat is on the right side), and while saying in a dramatic voice (one-but stretching it out) "Oooonnnneeee", "swing" him toward the seat, but it's a "fake out",
    then repeat a "swing/fake out" while saying (two-stretch it out) "Tttttwwwoooo", and on 3 (really high excited voice) you say "THREE!" "swing" him all the way into his seat, (right hand should be able to get his bottom up to the car seat), and by then he's laughing so hard, he doesn't mind being buckled. Ok, the instructions are a little long, but it just takes a couple of seconds to do, LOL!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:37 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• My dd hates getting into them at times too. she will arch her back and start crying. I usually give her a toy that she likes to play with and her sippy, and it calms her down.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:41 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• i know what she is going through! sometimes i cannot get my son in his carseat! fortunately this only happens once or twice a month. and he doesn't bite or hit. but he arches his back and it's nearly impossible to get him in. it's hard to believe 2 year olds are so strong. sometimes a pacifier will work but i usually don't have those in the car, just in bed. ok i know i'm not helping but i just want her to know she's not alone! (usually he climbs in himself and i just buckle him in btw)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• One of the nanny shows (supernanny or nanny 911) had a situation where the kids didn't like their carseats and she took the seats out and into the house so the kids could sit in them there, kinda get use to them, and it seemed to help. IDK
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• We use a treat or gum. It works every time. It could even be a snack, snack bar, fruit snacks.
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 2:07 AM on Sep. 22, 2009