Have you heard of the Title I program in elementary schools?

My kindergartner came home with this letter talking about she's eligible for the Title I program for reading but it has foggy information. The only info that is crystal is that the school will receive funding for this. I did an online search and it speaks about it's a program to help poor children excel academically. It's wierd to me because they haven't a clue of our income because she's only there half-time so we didn't have to fill out lunch forms or anything. Is this helpful to my child or is this just a PLOY to get more money for their school???

Itchellebe

Asked by Itchellebe at 6:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in

• School receives it as a grant. Take advantage of it. It's free help with reading for your lil one.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 6:39 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• That's kinda what I thought about but I don't know if it's during regular school hours or what? It's not specific at all.
    Itchellebe

Answer by Itchellebe at 7:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It isn't just about income. If she tested poorly they will work with her until she is up to grade level. Our district does it in a few different ways: in school, before school tutoring, and parent workshops. It is a great program.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 8:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• We have the title 1 program in our school. they test each childrens' level of reading and where IF any spots that they may need a little boost in... the school offers an opt out form if you don't want your child involved... I know of the grant, but did not know anything about it being based on income or poor children.
    I like it bc when my gs was tested in Kindergarten they found (then) he was a 3 gr reader and last yr in the 2nd gr they found he was a 5/6 grade level... he is also allowed to help younger children with their reading in group time (one on one type thig) ...
    I think each school uses it the way it works for them the best...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It isn't just about income, it is about kids that are having trouble reading or in other subjects. Take the help, it is free and will be good for your daughter. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with her but she may need a little extra help reading.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• The Title I program works well for the school. It gives the school money for special programs. One program that was offered to my daughter was one to help her in reading. Children who were reading at the first grade level in K, were invited to a summer reading program to make sure they stayed reading ahead of level.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Thanks ladies.
    Itchellebe

Answer by Itchellebe at 10:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I have 2 kids in Title I at a parochial school. It's one of the few No Child Left Behind things I agree with. My son left Kindergarten unable to read at all so was way behind his 1st grade class. He's been doing Title I since then. It really helped him last year but his test scores were crappy (he had only a 22 percentile in reading at the end of 1st grade) so he's doing it again this year. And I just got a note from the 1st grade teacher that my 6yo daughter would benefit from Title I. She's picking up reading faster then her brother but has no confidence. So she'll be going, too. They meet twice a week during school. My son loves his Title I teacher. They also offered us free summer school for my son for his reading but I declined because he was so burnt out on school. he needed a break.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:18 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• It is free to parents. My daughter is in 1st grade and also got a letter sent home about the Title 1 Program. It is basically someone helping your child in Reading for free. Our school does it during school time and all. I think it is a good idea. Instead of waiting until the child fails and falls behind in school. The schools are actually willing to work with and help the children.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 7:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Why would you care if the school is seeking more funing to help the students? A ploy? Don't you support your school system? There are tons of grants out there. You sound negative about the letter. Call and ask the school for more information. Now that makes sense!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Sep. 22, 2009