For moms who have had a c section...

I'm having my first baby by a (medically necessary) c section on Thursday. I've done tons of research, but I'd like to hear accounts from moms who have one...what is it like during the hospital stay and what should I expect? What was your experience like? How bad is it, lol?

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 6:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's painful, of course. You probably won't be able to pee by yourself very easily for the first 48 hours or so. The incision will itch HORRIBLY during the healing process, and the steri-strips are a pain in the butt! Moving around will be difficult, and though you'll feel like you're about to completely fall apart, DO get up and walk as soon as you are able.

Take some stool softeners, b/c you won't be able to push any poo out for a bit. I didn't go #2 for 6 days after i had my dd via c-sec in May of '08.

Good luck!
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 6:51 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• mine wasn't planned (baby wasn't progressing, and our heart rates were getting too high)..i don't remember squat about the surgery, except for some weird-thoughts/hallucinations..i thought i was falling off the highest cliff into, fire maybe? idk..the doc kept saying ''i've got you, lisa, you won't fall.'' then i woke up hours later, wondered where my baby was, and passed out again. woke up later, and they brought him to me. i missed knowing about his birth, as well as i had expected to 'know' about it. i was very sore in the lower abdomen, dry mouth/nose-hurt to cough like my insides were going to slowly rip apart and burst out onto the floor. yeah. later on day 2, the nurse told me i needed to get up to use the bathroom, and not be alarmed if i started bleeding. i thought she meant through my incision..no..she meant out my vagina and down my legs. i did. alot. i was sore for almost a week, but didn't need any meds. that's it
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 6:53 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It sucks big time, it is like night and day in comparison to natural, it does hurt, but if you keep moving as much as you can it will feel better, just don't over due it. In fla, hospitals won't let you go home until you go to the bathroom for #2, what I did, I lied and when I got home took a stool softener. It really is like any other major surgery, you will be ok, plan on someone helping the first few days so you can have a chance to recuperate. good luck!

Answer by older at 7:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2009