Do you think my daughter could have Autisim?

she will be 3 years old in 3 weeks and she has been showing some signs here lately i made an appointment but they cant see her until November. She didnt talk or walk until she was 16 months old, she walks on her tip-toes, she isnt stranger shy at all she doesnt even care that i leave she will stay with someone she doesnt even know, and she hits herself in the head when i tell her No and a couple weeks ago i noticed she is starting to stutter her words. Am i just worrying for nothing? Or could it be Autisim?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Always get a second opinion. My first daughter has Autism and she walked at 16 months and talked but the words became grunts at age 2. Tip toe walking is common among preschoolers. Being friendly is good and you should talk to her about talking to people that you don't know. That isn't really a sign of Autism.
    Classic signs are loss of speech, no real communication, frustration,
    I had 3 more kids in the last 22 years and worried over everything and have discovered that kids in general achieve milestones at their own pace and have quirkes that worry us for what turns out to be just false alarms.
    My husband's bff has a 3 yr old son that grunts, kicks and doesn't say sentences. I have a feeling that kid displays autistic behavior. Communication issues are really the red flag.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My dd will be 3 in November and she walked at about 14 months old, she started talking around 2 and she walks on her tippy toes all the time. She also hits herself when I tell her no too. I'm not worried about my dd.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Whether she has it or not, I applaud you for having her checked out since she does display numerous (but obviously not all) the symptoms.

You're doing the right thing, so try not to worry about it right now. You have the ball rolling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Autism is a spectrum with many different levels. This makes it almost impossible for someone to tell unless they are trained for what to look for. You are doing the right thing by getting her an evaluation. She has some warning signs, but realize also that she may not have any issues and it may be part of her normal development. Don't worry too much, but do make a list of anything you feel is concerning to you and a list of questions you may have during the eval.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 2:52 AM on Sep. 22, 2009