Please please please give me your advice on this situation..

I went to the bank today to inquire about getting a home inspection done on my new construction home and the banker told me to contact my realtor. The only reason I went to the bank was because I was told in a previous email that the homebuilder and banker would take care of the inspection. Anyway, I left the bank, got home in 5 minutes and checked my email...there was an email from the homebuilder asking why I wanted a home inspection done and to give the inspector her number. Here is my question...Why would the banker go behind my back and call the homebuilder right after I left his office, if he has no part in the home inspection? Does this sound strange to you??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It definitely sounds strange to me. Are you sure the banker told them and it wasn't just a coincidence? And he has no right to ask you why you want a home inspection done, it's your right and you should use it to your advantage! I would definitely want one done now! I'd contact someone outside of the situation and find out whats going on just to be on the safe side!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 7:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• The bank does timeline inspections to disburse construction money to the builder. This has nothing to do with typical home inspections. The town does inspections along the way...electrical, plumbing, etc. But again, that's not the same type of inspection you'd have if you bought a resale house. Usually a builder provides a warranty on their product...your home. It's a 1 year warranty. As you live there in the first year, you'll find different things that need adjusting, etc, and that's when you'd call him to come back and fix it. If you move in the winter, they can't check the A/C, so you'd be checking and possibly calling him in the spring.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:41 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I'm positive it wasn't a coincidence. The homebuilder stated in her email that she talked to the banker...I thought he out of all people would want me to get an inspection done. I called wells fargo and the lady couldn't really help me, but did say that it sounded a little fishy. I just can't figure out why he would do that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Go over his head and find out why he called your builder. At the very least, it sounds suspicious and I would want a 2nd opinon. I would be thinking "what does the builder have to hide"? Why did the banker go behind my back? It would drive me nuts until I found out what the hell was going on!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 7:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I would personally never purchase a home without an inspection. Just one of those things that you always verify. And if I were the homebuilder and I were proud of the work that I had done, I would see no problems in having the building inspected. Sounds weird to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• This is the exact reason we were our own contractors. We didn't want to deal with a builder and a bank. Dealing with the bank with a construction loan was frustrating enough. The banker should not have called the builder. I would call the realty commission in your area and lodge a complaint.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2009