Need help with ad for wedding coordination.

Hi Ladies,
I have a natural talent at coordinating weddings, why because I did my own in less than 8 weeks having a $15,000 budget. I received a lot of raves about how beautiful it turned out and was encouraged to pursue this as a career. I'd like to pursue this because 1. I know I can help the bride and groom with their dream wedding, 2. I really enjoy weddings and the details involved and 3. I can have fun while earning supplemental income.

Here's the thing : I'm not looking to make money right away but would like to help 2-3 couples for free first in exchange for referrals, pictures of what I was able to do, and maybe a reference letter to add to my website and blog.

I don't know where to begin with this, wording-wise. How would you word it or what simply would you say? I'm looking to place on craigslist and other online sources. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• Are you certified? That makes a huge difference! I am on my way to my second certification just for the reason that one school had an excelent class and the other had the good name. SO I did both. Also, I would check around to see what is the "average" wedding cost in your area. Around here if you spend $15K on a wedding you would be kicked right out of the industry! I'm not cutting on you. But you need to make sure you know all that first. Also, you should check out the local bridal shows and connect with local vendors. Otherwise I would say flyers would do you best, or look in to working with some of the local ballrooms or reception halls for experience.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Those are great ideas from the first poster. If there is any type of certification you can get without spending a fortune I would thing that would look great. I also agree that you should have some knowledge of vendors and income of your area. I would try to get contacts for vendors for lower income and higher income. So if someone has a 5,000 budget you could put something fabulous together as well as someone who has 20,000 to spend. For craigslist you dont really need to be great with wording. I have seen people on their with absolutely no grammer or punctuation at all. It is like a free for all. But if you did flyers you could start off with the word FREE...that always grabs attention! :) I would jus say something like, "Looking to help couples plan their wedding. Starting a new business and not charging a fee. Once in a lifetime opportunity." Or something like that???
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 10:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Get in contact with some local coordinators and ask if you can tag along to see how they operate things. Even though you say you have a "natural talent" for it, the business end of things is FAR more complicated than most people realize.

As a word of caution, if you start out charging nothing or very little, just be aware that the people who are referred to you will usually expect the same treatment. And the list goes on....
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 4:22 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• You all were very helpful! I enjoyed reading all of your suggestions. I plan to implement each one. Thank you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 AM on Sep. 22, 2009