Does anyone else think this is wrong?

That the United States is SO many years behind other countries with prevention of SIDS (crib/cot death) and peope are making tons and tons of money off of the SIDS campaign here? But not trying everything or paying attention to the effective methods of othe countries? I had the opportunity to speak to someone in New Zealand about this and I was quite shocked. If someone actually did something about this alot of people would be out of work who are selling all of these products with the halo...I guess that is why nobody wants to listen. What are your thoughts?

soveryconfused

Asked by soveryconfused at 7:45 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• What are they doing over there?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Yeah? I would like to know also- not to mention the fact that the pamphlets telling parents to make sure you put your babies to sleep on their backs, no smoking around babies, keep the temp in babies rooms between 68 an 72 degrees farenheit and no soft things in the crib such as blankets, pillows and stuffed animals- i think i covered everything- so what are other countries doing besides this to stop sids?

lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 8:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I am not suggesting that the back to sleep campaign is bad, or smoking or those other things that were mentioned...those are all good things. If you look a lot deeper into it though, you will find that other countries practice mattress wrapping, do not use any type of fire resistant clothing or materials in the baby crib, and those Halo sleep sacks? Considered a big NO NO. Fire resistant "bags" do more harm than good.They have even stopped SIDS research in New Zealand b/c they have not had a reported "cot death" as they call it, since starting mattress wrapping, and they also sell special mattresses only in that country that take the place of the wrap. They have studies from 20 years ago. American doctors are really really ignorant when it comes to this. I don't believe anything my own doctor has told me because I have found research to disprove her every word.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 9:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• The SIDS campaign is not bad, but it is seriously ignoring alot of other preventative things that can be done. Although one of the highest purchasing countries of these mattress wraps is the United States- these people are like myself, and have had to do their own research to get the full story. All I am saying is something is wrong with this picture.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 9:50 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• So to make myself clear I am not speaking of the pamphlets that give temperature advice etc., but they are misleading in saying back to sleep when there are other things going on....in fact new zealand does not have a back to sleep campaign but believes if the mattress is safe or wrapped, baby is fine on tummy. and there are many products that have the halo sign that give comfort to parents, but have been proven to be harmful in studies in other countries.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 9:53 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• In this country, if everyone used less toxic mattresses or did mattress wrapping, it would impact a whole industry of infant product suppliers & disrupt a very large & lucrative segment of the economy, therefore information is selectively released to the public. If a company can't make a huge profit on it, then it is buried, never to see the light of day if possible. This is typical business practice in the United States in general, so I'm not surprised.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Exactly. This country is not all it is cracked up to be. Our government controls way more than it should.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 10:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• "A government strong enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take all that you have" Thomas Jefferson There is a LOT wrong with this country, but I would live here before anywhere else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2009