Can a single mom adopt?

I am 21 years old and have one daughter, I am a single mom. My daughters father passed away unfortuantly when I was only five months along. (Rest In Peace Brandon*<33) I love my daughter so much, and I would love nothing more then to have another child of my own, but I do have a heart condition and was told when I was younger that I most likely wouldnt be able to have children, Boy was he wrong! I had my daughter, altough I was high risk throughout my whole pregnancy. ANyways my question is, I dont have a man in my life and wont until I am really sure he's the right one, But I don't think My body could handle having another child, naturally anyway, and having a c-section scares the hell out of me insanly, I know somebody that had one and seen what they did to her lower stomach and it scary!!! But I would really like to adopt another child, not today. But someday. Whay are my chances do u think? I live in Maine by the way to

Briana_N_Me06

Asked by Briana_N_Me06 at 8:25 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Adoption

• Yes single people can adopt... you just have to provide a stable loving home..
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 8:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Yes, you can as a single mother, but it will be very difficult. First you need to decide what route you want to take, domestic infant adoption, foster care adoption or foreign adoption. Domestic infant adoption can be very expensive & very long, especially being a single mom, already having a child, and the emotional toll is even worse! Foreign adoption is a long process, plus it might be an older child. Foster care, you would need to contact your local CPS to find out if they will license you.

My husband and I have been trying to adopt for 6 months, domestic and adopting from foster care, it has been a very painful experience for us! If it was me, I would wait until I found the right guy to settle down with, then decide with him which route you would like to go together! Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Yes, single mothers can adopt. You would just need to look into all types of adoption (foster care, domestic, international, etc) to decide which one is right for you. Some of them have minimum age requirements. Good luck to you in the future and I'm sorry about your daughter's father.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 9:51 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Anon, may I ask why it's been painful to try and adopt from foster care?
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 9:52 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• There's no reason you can't adopt that I would know of. What you would have to decide is what age of a child you are wanting to adopt. Infant only or would you be willing to adopt an older child? One child or a couple? Boy, girl, black, white, handicaps, health problems, etc. There are many, many children available for adoption but the number of healthy infants is low.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I am a BM and I PERSONALLY would not have chosen a single parent to adopt my child and here is why... I had a happy childhood raised by my mother (my father passed away in a car accident when I was 13 months) then when I was 8 she met her boyfriend who EVERYONE, including me, thought was a saint. He turned out to be very physically and emotionally (thankfully NOT sexually) abusive to me. I know that a married couple can get a divorce and the same thing could happen but I would prefer to choose my child's PARENTS instead of just leave it up to chance that the AM or AD were to choose a great other parent for my birth child.

As for the heart condition... I also would not have chosen a family that had an series (or probably any period) health conditions. I wanted to better ensure that my child would outlive its parents.

I know this sounds cold and I am sorry, I was just answering from where I was coming from
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Anon here, LittleBit! Currently we are trying to adopt straight out of foster care,from any state, either a little girl under 5, or a sibling group up to 5 children under 10. We have been trying for 5 months, we have gotten close on 2, but so far no match! It is very heartbreaking to get close to being matched, and have it fall through! We are not going through our county at this time, because they gave us the run around, they don't even know who does the licensing for our county right now. We are now looking to sign with a foster agency and get our foster care license in the next couple of months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Hi...you can absolutely adopt as a single person/mom. I adopted my daughter in 2007. I waited less than a month to be matched. Adopted my son in 2008. Waited 4 months for him to arrive. Don't let people tell you it can't be done. Just make sure you are ready. Take classes and read lots of books on adoption. I recommend alot of research first. I have 2 completely open adoptions and would recommend research on open adoptions. Don't get discouraged! Good luck in the future!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2009