My boss is a complete jerk...seriously considering quitting because of his comment.

Normally I don't let things get to me, but this REALLY bothered me. So my company is having a picnic and our family is allowed to go. My boss asked me if I was going and I said yes but can only stay for a little while because I have class on the day of. He was like oh why cant you just skip class, I said because I have an exam (it's for freaking nursing school, not like I can just be like oh sorry this is more important than my future!) and he then asked how far school is away from picnic, I told him and hes lik oh then leave at this time, and I said I also have to drop off my son at the babysitter. He's response: just drown him. I was completely dumbfounded-no clue what to say, I just gave him a nasty look and walked away. I feel this is COMPLETELY unprofessional and am considering quitting. That's my baby and I'm not going to let anyone say something like that. I can't go to the owner because he is the owner. What would u do

ericalyne

Asked by ericalyne at 8:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• I agree it was an inappropriate comment. Unless you have another job lined up or can afford to be unemployed I wouldn't quit. It is highly likely he was trying to be funny and missed by a mile. It doesn't excuse it but the bottom line is can you afford to quit?
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I would probobly have asked if he was going to be my alibi while I was doing it. Guessing it was supposed to be a joke, but in VERY bad taste. I would just let him know you didn't really appreciate it and let it go this time. If he says something like that again, i would leave.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 9:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• So you are going to quit your job because
    of him...

Why give him that power...he is an ass and you know it...

Move on...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 9:14 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• opps I didn't realize I had so many typos in my question!!! Sorry!
    ericalyne

Answer by ericalyne at 9:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Wow, what a terrible thing to say. I can't believe that someone would say that, especially a boss of yours. Have you ever thought about being your own boss? I work from home. I am a stay at home Mom to a 2 year old and 6 month old. I work with a great team of Moms; we help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory, No MLM! FREE website, training, and UNLIMITED support!! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS. The best part is I can make money and be with my Family!!!
    You can have the best of both worlds too.
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!
    Erika
    Check out my website
    http://www.4MyFamilyandMe.com/
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 9:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It was a joke, a joke in very bad taste, but a joke nonetheless. Let it go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I used to have a boss like that, idiotic tasteless "jokes" and all. One time my cat was having some serious medical problems and was at t.he vet and he said something like "nothing a minute in the microwave won't cure". Is that supposed to be funny? Wasn't to me. Anyways, I still needed the income, so I gave him a dirty look and moved on. It's not worth dwelling on.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• If you quit you will not get unemployment. Make a complaint with the HR department, what he did was unprofessional. Not anything to quit a job over, jobs are scarse as it is. Don't quit one that you have without having another one.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Is there a Human Services rep for the company? if so, talk to them
    Or write a letter to the Editor of your local newspaper
    Talk to an attorney, the local BBB!
    Thats totally uncalled for

Good Luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Only quit if you have another job lined up. Only a moron quits a job without a plan.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2009