i have a 15yo girl and a 2yo boy, is it bad to make them share a room? we can only afford a 2 bedroom and there is no dining room to convert to a bedroom

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• in a lot of states not only is it bad, its ILLEGAL. Give the 15 yo thier own room and keep the baby in your room to make sure your staying legal.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 9:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• In Wisconsin, that would be considered not only bad but ILLEGAL. There is no way I would allow a 15 yr old and a 2 yr old to share a bedroom. Nope, sorry but you are going to have to figure something else out. Check with CPS to see if that would be legal.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:25 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• why the heck would she call CPS?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Is the 2 yo the 15 yo's child or yours? Why should she have to share a room with a 2 yo? Not really trying to be rude, but I really don't think it is fair to her. Also agree with pp's that in alot of states it is illegal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• OP here, my 2yo son is sleeping in my room. My teen has her own room. I was just thinking of ways that my son could have some room for his things. I was only looking for ideas, nothing is set in stone here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• My neices shared a room for a long while and they are 12 years apart in age. I don't see the problem. It's a baby and a teen, who cares if they are different genders. People amaze me. My friend has 5 children. They are 17, 14, 9, 6 and 4. 4 boys and a girl (the 6yo). The older 3 share a roomand the 6 and 4yo's (a girl and a boy) share a room because they are closest in age. Their mother cannot afford a 4 bedroom house. She has a 2 bedroom house and she sleeps on the floor (she doesn't have a couch) in the living room. She had a lovely 6 bedroom house at one time but then her husband got sick and died and she lost her home because of medical bills. Why would someone care if a 4yo and a 6yo share, even if they are not the same gender?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Most States have a 2 heartbeats per room rule. You can legally have them share a room. However, whether it's a good idea is going to depend on a lot of things.

Maybe, if you're looking for a solution here, how about this -

You and your dh take the smaller room. Your dd and your ds have the Master bedroom. You get some bookshelves that go all the way (or most of the way) to the ceiling. Put some facing his side for you to use for his stuff, and some facing her side that she can use. She can put posters and etc on the back side of "his shelves". Then get a baby gate to go between the shelves and his side. Also, maybe a beaded "curtain" to hang in the entry, or a spring pole with a pocket curtain on it for privacy for her.

Most of these things can be gotten or made reasonably cheaply.

That way, everyone has their own space, and everyone compromises a little.

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:36 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• OP here, Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided that i'm going to move my hubby and myself to the living room, we'll get a sofabed and that way both kids have their own room. i didnt think of it until someone suggested i put my oldest baby in the livingroom, i dont have the heart to put her there, her room looks really nice now, she decorated it herself. So thanks again girls.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I think its fine for now until the boy gets a couple years older
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Before you move you and your husband, what my mom did was build a faux room in the room......she took a room divider and placed it almost down the middle of the room, I got my personal space and so did my sister, a friend is doing this for her son/daughter combo and it has worked great for them. Just a thought!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:15 AM on Sep. 22, 2009