I know this is "normal" but...

I know its normal for little kids to play with themselves. My daughter is 3 and does it, usually only in her room (we talked about that). The thing is, it makes her have a certain smell. I know when she's been playing with herself because her room and her hands smell like it. I took her to the dr and she doesnt have anything wrong. But what do I do to make her understand it makes her smell? What do I do to get rid of that smell?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• have her wash her hands?

gross, not looking forward to that
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Obviously, you'll want to choose your words carefully so that you don't make you toddler feel that what he is doing is bad or dirty. It's not. It's perfectly normal. One last thing: Try not to become unduly concerned that your toddler's new-found interest in his genitals may be a sign that he's been sexually abused. Toddlers who have been sexually abused are more likely to become withdrawn or to develop sleep problems than to masterbate excessively."
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 9:11 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Well, I've never really understood the "This is normal and this too shall pass" idea here. My 3 and 4 year olds don't do this and if they do start, it will not be something mommy passes off as....whatever. Besides that it's "gross", it's just not necessary or acceptable. I don't do it because that's what my husband is for - to meet my sexual needs. They will learn the same thing.

I realize this response is definitely in the minority, but....so be it.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 3:57 AM on Sep. 22, 2009