is it ok to start my 10 month old on whole milk because she is going through the formula to quickly through the month

GutierrezMommy

Asked by GutierrezMommy at 9:10 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. She still needs the nutrition in the formula.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• You should wait until the baby is 1. a baby's digestive system can't digest cow's milk proteins. Cow's milk also has too much sodium, potassium, and chloride, which can tax your baby's kidneys.

Even if his system could handle it, cow's milk doesn't have all the vitamins and minerals (especially vitamin E, zinc, and iron) that he needs for growth and development in his first year. Giving a baby cow's milk could even cause iron deficiency and internal bleeding. And it can increase his risk of an allergic reaction.
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 9:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• You should call your doctor about this or go to WebMD. Your daughter may not get the nutrition she needs if you start her on milk before she's a year old.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 9:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Try to feed more solids and buy the formula rather than give whole milk. Formula is modified cow's milk. Cow's milk is too hard for a baby's body to digest and process including the kidneys. It's not worth it to save a little money. If you really can't afford it there are lots of different type of places you can contact to get free formula.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 9:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Nope. I'd buy more formula. Baby still needs the calories and nutrients.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Should have thought about that before you decided to formula feed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Nice one Annon. . . what a butthead

No Milk until at least 1 unless your doc gives you the okay. . . I'd look for sales and coupons, I'm out of coupons at the moment but check back and if my nice old neighbor sends me any more I'll send them to ya. Also, my friend uses the store brand formula instead of namebrand because they are all controlled by the FDA.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2009