How can I get my 5 month old to sleep?

I am having issues with my breastfed 5 month old daughter..(2nd child). For the past 5 weeks, her schedule seems to be getting progressively worse. She is waking 3-6 times per night and feeding. I work 4 days during the week, and when I am gone, she barely sleeps. My husband is home with her, and he is lucky if she takes two 20 minute naps. The rest of the day she just cries and cries. When I get home from work she is all smiles, and naps (somewhat) decently on the wknds when I'm home. It is becoming so difficult for all of us! Has anyone else had similar problems? I know she is teething...her bottom 2 teeth are about to come in. I have tried homeopathic teething tablets, tylenol, and motrin for the teething...and they don't seem to help. I have tried giving her rice cereal in the evenings. I have tried moving her co-sleeper away from my bed, tried having her sleep in the bed with me. Any advice?

stefreiter

Asked by stefreiter at 9:19 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The waking at night to nurse is normal.

If she crys even if you are there then there is much you can do. It's a bigger problem if she only cries if you are gone and her father tries everything he can. Is it right for a baby to cry 8-10+ hours a day when the situation could be solved by mom being home?

I know it's hard to find jobs. My DIL got a job when my grandbaby was 10 months and my son & I take care of the baby. He was over crying by then. He is still breastfeeding several times a night at 12 months.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 9:39 PM on Sep. 21, 2009