Question about "Postpartum Bodies"

What am I going to look like after having a baby? Can I expect anything good?

I've stayed in the "expected weight gain" margin- i'm at 25 pounds now with a month and a half left to go.

How soon can I start exercising? Someone on here said if you do it too soon your bladder can fall out of your vagina.

That scared me.

How did you get back in shape? how long did it take, will I ever look like I did before?? My pregnant stomach has a little fat on the bottom but not the top, does that mean i'll have a hanging belly afterwards?

:(?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 9:22 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Right after you give birth, your stomach will feel flabby, and there will be a lot of flab. As your uterus contracts and shrinks back to its pre-preg size, a lot of it will go away. You can start exercising 6 weeks after birth or sooner if your doctor gives the ok, but you really should wait until you're fully healed. And taking care of the baby is going to take a lot out of you, and you'll need to rest and recuperate a bit. You will eventually get back to looking about the same, maybe a little extra tummy; how long it takes depends on your body and how serious you are about it. Keep in mind that your body may be completely different after pregnancy than before; I lost the 30 pounds I gained with my first and then some within a month after delivery, but it took another year to fit into my pre-preg clothes; with my second, my pre-preg clothes fit better 3 weeks after delivery than they did before I got preg the first time.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Right after having the baby, I looked like some kind of fertility goddess statuette. I freaked. I did look much better later, but 20 minutes after giving birth was no time to look at yourself naked in the mirror!

You can start exercising at 6 weeks. Make sure you do your Kegels.

Everyone is different, you may or may not get your old body back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• once you feel good enough to exercise, you can, just don't over do it. but you might not have the time or energy once baby comes....anyway you can get into good shape within probably 6 mos but your boobs and your body might always be slightly different. but still hot ;) breastfeeding will help too, if you're lucky :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• start out walking, and then build up
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• lmao im sorry but your bladder will fall out! thats hilarious whoever told you that needs to be slapped i agree witheveryone else atleast 6 wks but once the baby is there your going to be super busy and that will help alot on it's own
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Sep. 21, 2009