I think my child is scared of his Halloween costume

I think my child is scared of his Halloween costume. He is 17 months and we got him a really cute Dragon costume. It has a tail wings gloves and a hat. Every time I put him in it he cries and says all done mama all done. Ive been trying to put him in it every few days to get him comfortable in it by Halloween but I cant get anything more on him other that the suit (no accessories) before he starts up. What should I do? Should I buy him something else? Help.

JennO2

Asked by JennO2 at 9:23 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was 2 and 1/2 last halloween. He wanted NOTHING to do with any costume. We got him a cute halloween shirt and he wore that. I am not going to force a costume on my kid. You could try something like a cowboy (jeans and a flannel shirt) or something like it where the costume is almost like wearing normal clothes-that might work better.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:36 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Maybe if you get a good dragon story from the library with illustrations that match the costume he will associate the costume with something pleasant. Many children wish to emulate story characters.

maybe this book? http://www.fairrosa.info/dragon/matthew.html
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:38 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Yeah I wouldn't force it on him. If you get it on him for even a second, take a pic and dont fight this battle anymore. I agree, halloween shirt would work :).
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 9:39 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• my son did that when we first tried on his halloween costume. but he had done the same thing with his coat, so i didn't really think he was scared. so we tried putting it on him outside, and then he was just fine because he loves to be outside. so maybe try that .... good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't make him try it on anymore. You can either try letting him pick out another costume if you can afford to buy another or just make him a punk rocker or a rock star and spike his hair with colored gel or hairspray with old holy jeans and call it a day :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• we got my daughter a bumble bee costume her first halloween (6months old) and she cryed so i took it off... but i think it was because of the fabric. shes almost 2 and a half this year.... so shes loving the dressing up part. (but then again shes a pretty princess.. not something that can be considered scary) ...maybe its the fabric of the costume. as him if its itchy....or maybe let him see in the mirror and make faces with it on....try to make it fun.
    HayleesHotMom

Answer by HayleesHotMom at 2:01 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Could be that the dragon is scary, could be that it's uncomfortable or hot, could be that your child is getting to the age where he wants to do what HE wants to do and he does NOT want to wear the costume, for whatever reason.

In any case, I would not push it.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 4:04 AM on Sep. 22, 2009