How do you wash a weighted blanket?

My son has autism and his weighted blanket could really use a wash. Thanks!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 9:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• By hand with Woolite
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 9:37 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It really depends on what it is made of and whether or not the weights are removeable. My son's weighted blanket is made of a fleece-like material and the weights are removeable, so I just take the weights out and wash it like anything else.

If you can't take the weights out, then you may have to just spot clean it with a mild detergent; something that won't make him sick if he chews on the blanket should you not get all of the detergent out.

This is probably a dumb question, but, if the blanket isn't a homemade one, didn't it come with washing instructions? If it did and you lost them, why not call the company you got it from and ask them what the preferred cleaning method is?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Yes, it's a bought blanket. But, there were no washing instructions with it =( And I can't remember the name of the company. I accidentally deleted the email I got from them. I may have to try to see if I can figure out who made it. I was looking at a lot of different websites before I settled on one. His blanket is fleece and the weights aren't removable.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:10 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Sometimes a blanket with non-removeable weights is washable, but you need to know what the weights are made of first. For now, I would just spot clean the fleece with a mild detergent & make sure you rinse off any residue really well. If the blanket has an odor to it that you'd like to get rid of, you could put it in a big plastic bag (like one of the those giant Ziploc bags) with a cup or so of baking soda to absorb the odors, then leave it set for a day or so and then vacuum the blanket real well to get the baking soda out. If there does happen to be any baking soda residue left on the blanket, it won't harm your son to ingest it.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:58 AM on Sep. 22, 2009