Anyone know about labor and birth... dog wise?

I have a peekapoo, 55 days in... she's acted off today... panting here and there, stomach getting hard, staying with me... what am I looking for on labor? I've had dogs, as a child, but I didnt really pay attention... Also, her bits are a bit swollen and she leaked a small amount of clear stuff but not much...

Oh, one more thing, she mated with a Yorkie... so do you think there's any problems delivering? He was much smaller than her if that makes a difference... if you can help, please do, my nerves are fried!

Gremlyn

Asked by Gremlyn at 9:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Pets

• Sorry I dont have the answer for you but your Vet DOES know all the answers your looking for.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• no she shouldnt, as long as the male is smaller than a feamle, now if she mated with something a bit bigger she may had a problem. she will be fine. my dog has had 3 litters. i have puppies here that are 6 healthy dashapoo that are now 6 weeks, daschaund and poodle lol. they are very healthy .. dont worry but since she is getting close to her due date. put her in a big enough kennel with something covering it, so its dark. i always put a blanket over the kennel so its nice, quiet, and comfy for them , thats what they like. keep a close eye on her until she has them because if u keep her out and u arent home she will go behind something dark, adn have them im sure u dont wan ther having them on your floor.lol but let her do her business, it comes natural to them. they usually dont need any help.. just keep eye on her she will be fine. signs are when they pant, whine, and walk in circles.if u want to see pics of our puppies let
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 12:25 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• just keep a close eye on her make sure she has a place ready for having them
    paulasmom

Answer by paulasmom at 7:03 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• you can watch her temperature, anally taken, and when it starts to go up that is a good indication of canine labor onset. yes, you'll have to take it about every 2 hours for the next couple of days, she could have those puppies anytime. sometimes the dog will try and dig a hole or start digging at your house carpeting when labor starts and alot of panting.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:54 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Has she had regular prenatal vet checkups? I would call the vet and ask. Honestly, this is why people who are not licensed breeders should have their pets fixed. Sigh.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• The only advice that I have is that you PLEASE have her fixed ASAP after she has the puppies! And I agree 100% with the PP!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:49 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Make a place for her to have them...otherwise she may choose your closet! When my dog had puppies over 20 years ago, we went and bought a cheep kiddie pool, tour up newspaper and she apparently wanted my blanket off my bed in there since she carried it downstairs and put it in there with her...other then that she will do all the work. The babies will come out with a clear coating on them that she will like off and eat (eww) at 14 that was disturbing to watch but thats nature for you. If you find she is having difficulty getting the babies out you can try to assist but I would wear gloves. She is staying with you cause she is letting you know she needs you to be there for her. Good Luck! Definately get her fixed after the litter...if not her chances for some sort of cancer increases dramatically, not to mention there are already so many animals without homes these day. Just took in a dog myself about a month ago.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• CBM and the poster above her, bite me. I've done research, I know the ins and outs, it's just she hasn't been showing ALL the signs of labor. I have her spot ready, gloves bought, scissors, and regular dental floss for tying off cords... I'm just worried about her because we love her. I called the vet today for a quote on c-section, just in case... it's exspensive... she quoted between $300-$1,000... but if she needs it, she'll get it. Oh, and she is getting spayed after this. The vet told me that if they have a litter before spaying, it decreases the chance of cancer. Thanks to everyone else who didn't look down on me! :)
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 2:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• i wouldn't go with the idea that if the father is smaller it's ok. it would be ok if his whole lineage was made up of small tiny dogs like him. he could of just been the runt and didn't reach his full potential. be careful and just keep that eye on her. when she goes to deliever you will know if she is ok or struggling. help pull them out if you can. my sils have lost their mother to a baby getting stuck and another lost the baby due to getting stuck. so be ready to pull.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Gremlyn,

1. If you have done all your research then why are you here asking complete strangers what to do??
    2. Your vet lied to you. IT DOES NOT decrease a female's chances of having cancer, it in fact, increases it loads. IT DOES NOT mellow out a female dog if she has one litter. IT DOES NOT make her a better dog to have around children.
    What it does do however is populate the world with more mutts, more puppies that will produce puppies, more dogs that are dying because your pups are in shelters.

Google JUST ONE LITTER. Then decide if you should have bred your poor dog. Uneducated people SHOULD NOT BE BREEDING DOGS!!!!
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:25 AM on Sep. 24, 2009