argumentative MIL

Have you ever pointed out to your MIL how argumentative she is? Or maybe even pointed out just how bad she gets on your nerves? what advie do you have to someone who has to deal with their MIL argueing about every little thing. I'm talking she just told me i'm not allowed to cut my son's hair till she says, she told me he's not allowed to eat bananas unless they are mashed up(he's almost 10 months with 5 teeth). She even calls me and tells me what to dress him in everyday. I'm trying to be civil and patient with her, but i'm about to explode!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If you don't establish boundaries now, it's only going to get worse. Maybe next she'll be telling you when it's okay for you to have another baby. This is your child and she needs to understand that. Believe me, I know ALL about close Italian families. My husband is the biggest momma's boy there is, but my MIL would never presume to tell me how to raise my child. Have your husband speak to her in private and if that doesn't work, simply say, " I appreciate that you care enough about your grandchild to offer your opinion, but he is my child and his father and I will decide what's best for him." and then just go about doing things your way.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 10:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Either have your husband deal with her or stop answering the phone and door... to hell with that... I'd be damn tempted to smash her mouth for her myself. She really needs to back off... not something I'd stand for!
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 10:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• is she crazy? u cant cut his hair huh? tell him how to dress, everyday? hah? does this make any sense. she miss being a mommy, little OVER ur nerves, that would drive me frickin nuts. u need to sit her down and let her know she isnt the mother, u r
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 10:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• WOW I thought mine was bad...ugg I feel for you sweetie, but don't answer the phone or quick get caller ID and just plain tell her that it is your child not her and you will do what you want, what does hubby have to say about this?? Does he just let her get away with it?? That may be some of the problem as well. Message me if you wanna talk I have major in law troubles.....Uggg I loo forward too chatting with you!! Malia
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 10:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• ew, if it were me...i'd tell her nicely to mind her own beezwax. oh yea, and get caller id and a peek hole for your door if you don't already have one, lol.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Press mute on the tv's remote, change the channel, or just turn off the tv and walk away. What's important is keeping the family together.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• the thing is, they are a really close italian family and we spend every sunday at her house. There is no escaping her. I am normally a very blunt person, but i'm afraid of making the family mad at me so i never say anything to her.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 10:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I think I would probably just let it go in one ear and out the other, and do what I wanted to do. If you are taking good care of your child, making sure he's healthy and safe, she should stay out of the decisions unless you ask for advice. How does your husband feel about this? Maybe he should talk to her about it.

Good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:36 PM on Sep. 21, 2009