GSA??

Just saw a story on ABC where a Michigan BMom searched out her 15 yr old bson on the internet and started a sexual relationship with him. She has been arrested and is out on bail for statutory rape, he is apparently 15 yrs old.

There are a bunch of people who are supporting her saying that this is a case of "Genetic Sexual Attraction" which ties into some kind of primal wound theory.
Apparently this often happens with bio-siblings that were not raised together having some kind of sexual attraction towards each other.

Anyone heard of this, is this something Aparents need to worry about

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Adoption

• It is true here is some information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_sexual_attraction
    Another site http://www.geneticsexualattraction.com/forum/showthread.php?t=837
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Genetic Sexual Attraction or not she is adult and knows not to have sex with a relative or a minor.She could have sought help for these feelings.It is incest and it occurs in bio-families and adoptive families. Legally and psychologically amoms and adads are the parents so it is still incest.No IMO aparents don't need to worry more about this than any parent is properly concerned about their child being sexually abused. I suspect this post is about drama rather than real concern---the last sentence.We all would be concerned ,no one here thinks a child should be raped by anyone.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 11:44 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• So remember the feeling of just complete and total adoration you had/have when you hold your infant? How you just want to snuggle, kiss their bellies, etc?

Sometimes in reunion those (infant & mom) desires for communication ignite and sometimes (SOMETIMES) boundaries are crossed. It's a terribly complex thing to deal with (and confusing on both ends) but it is NO EXCUSE for what has happened. That birth mom should have kept her head and remembered who she was in the relationship (the mom, not a peer).

By the way, this reversion to infant/parent communication is actually quite normal and to be praised when it occurs at the infant/parent stage - it is actually recommended and the absence of it can cause harm to infants. In adoption reunion you have to remember that both parties at a subconscious level go back and "pick up where they left off" emotionally. Not a huge worry cause most people remember the here and now.
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 12:39 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Port, Thank you for your respectful answer. I dont really understand your last paragraph though. When do you go to the infant/parent stage except when you are an infant/parent.

drfink: I know your immediate reaction is to just attack Aparents but this has nothing to do with drama. It is common sense that incest should not occur and that statutory rape is wrong. I am more concerned about the brother/sister attraction that they are saying may exist. I had never heard of this "GSA" before and (heaven forbid!) was trying to learn something here.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Incest is taboo in our culture. I have no empathy for this bmom crossing the line as an adult with a minor. None.
    In another thought on the subject- can you imagine an adoptee falling in love with a sibling that's never been identified as a relative because of sealed records?

It's happened before. Open records now!
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 6:38 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• *GSA*, is indeed real, one only needs to GOOGLE it and learn of the ramifications of it. Adopteeme,and Port are both correct! Incest and sexual activities with a Minor is illegal, and there is NO condoning it. The theory has/ is indeed researched, and while it is illegal and taboo, 'OPEN RECORDS" IS a must...especially when we find out that two people whose only crime was to fall in love, find they are indeed related. This is most times on the rare side...but 1 time is too MANY! ANY adult is responsible for their own behavior. One NEVER knows what happens behind closed doors...so lets OPEN those doors to begin with. This is so heart wrenching to me, Now speaking from a First Moms point of view, I, MYSELF, know it is wrong to have sexual contact with a minor...so therefore ,regardless of being a "birth mom" or not...know my actions, and am responsible for them. Just as any Mom or Dad! This also occurs with Dads! C.J.
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 7:40 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• OP, could you let me know where this story took place, and when you saw it on ABC, and what news channel it was? I would like to know more about this story. Thank You, C.J.
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 8:17 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Michigan Mom Aimee Louise Sword Faces Trial for Incest With Son She Gave Up for Adoption - ABC News
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Sorry, hit send too fast. The above post has the information.

OP here, for the record, I am not in any way debating that this woman shouldnt have committed this crime nor am I saying that I think bmoms look up their kids on the internet for something so terrible. Obviously this was wrong on several levels.

My point was that I never heard of GSA before and if there is something that as a parent I should tuck in the back of my mind to make sure that adolescent emotions don't go in a wrong direction subconsciously. Both of my children have opposite sex 1/2 bio siblings and of course I am biased but I think my daughters are gorgeous and their bio siblings are really handsome/athletic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• OP, thank you, I just wanted to hear MORE of this story...not doubting your intentions..any what so ever. I appreciate this post, it is of value. This is ONE of the MORE important reasons, that in another post, brought forward from Adopteeme, was trying to make...when it comes to OPEN RECORDS for Adoptees. There truly is and are many many ramifications that stem from adoption, all deserve merit and serious thought. If "we" intend for change to be made...ALL issues need to be brought to the table. On a somewhat different note, I just earlier today watched a story on THE TODAY SHOW, about the POMROYS, the brothers whom worked together, and found out they were adopted, and siblings, also reunited with a sister whom heard about the brothers from her fiance. Truly a heartwarming/heartbreaking journey from their points of view. Blessings, C.J.
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 22, 2009